Re: how do you perform these updates

Following up Gene's mention of avoiding having bundled potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) installed, I cannot recommend anything more highly than Unchecky.  I initially learned about this and suggested installing it only to my blind and visually impaired clients, but very quickly dropped that limitation and now recommend it to all.  I use it myself so that if I get in a hurry and miss one of those checkboxes I should have unchecked it is done for me.

Yes, it runs constantly as a background process, but its resource footprint is incredibly small and light.  If you want to avoid PUPs, which have become so common since the scourge of endless bundling as become de rigueur, Unchecky is an excellent tool for doing so and is the PUP equivalent of an antivirus scanner.

    ~ Lauren Bacall