Re: Clarification: screen reader name change and its impact

Aravind R

i feel, its time for enhancing NVDA's accessibility features to
various programmes and app support rather than consentrating on name
issue.

On 3/19/16, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com> wrote:
hi.
nvda is a very good and familiar name.
it does not need to change.

On 3/19/16, Lenron <lenron93@gmail.com> wrote:
the name is fine the way it is.

Hi all,

Some of you asked why can't NV Access change the name of NVDA to
something
else. Here are the reasons why (some of them technical):

* NVDA is a desktop program (not a WinRT or universal app), thus
the
name "NonVisual Desktop Access" makes sense.

* NVDA was originally designed to access desktop programs. With
the
advent of Windows Runtime (WinRT) and Universal Windows Platform (UWP),
NvDA
developers (including I) are working on enhanced support for new style
of
apps.

* Add-on extensions: With the assumption that NVDA will stand
for
"NonVisual Desktop Access", the extension of add-ons has been defined as
"nvda-addon". Changing the name of the screen reader will cause
confusion
for add-on authors, especially those overseeing community add-ons
website
and are charged with reviewing new add-ons (I'm an add-on author and
serve
as a reviewer, and I'm the current quarterly add-on release
coordinator/manager, tasked with consulting other add-on authors as to
what
should go into seasonal maintenance versions of various add-ons).

Thus, when we do change a screen reader's name, not only it impacts
users,
but also its brand image, technical side of things and so on.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joseph

--