Thunderbird Tutorial (Text Format)

Paul Benson

Hello all,

Below my signature is a text format tutorial on Thunderbird which was posted a few months on a couple of UK lists by a highly-esteemed contributor, Mo. I recall it being posted along with a link to the portable version, but suspect it applies in all versions. Let's hope so. He also references JAWS, but perhaps this is not important?

I have marked my copy into sections with a double hash sign, "##", for easy searching. I am not sure if I still have the original, hope this is not a problem. I have yet to get round to doing battle with Thunderbird, so cannot pass comment, other than Mo has a very good reputation on BCAB and Access-UK lists.

Paul Benson.

* * *

## Accessing messages.
When you first open thunderbird, you have to tab 3 times to get to the list of messages.
The layout of thunderbird is similar to outlook and outlook express.
You have a treeview of folders, so as you're tabbing listen out for, treeview.
Arrowing up and down navigates you to the different folders inbox, sent, trash, junk etc.
Unfortunately, you cannot use, control Y, or the first letter of a folder to jump to a particular folder.
You have to arrow through all the folders to get to the one you want.

## Following are some common shortcuts for thunderbird, as well as a link at the bottom for the lot.
control N - new message.
control shift A - to attach a file to a message.
control R - to reply.
control shift R - to reply to all.
control L - to forward.
control enter - to send.
control shift B - for the address book.

## To send a message from a different account.
Press, control N, as usual for a new message.
When the new message window is displayed, press, shift tab, twice to the from combo box.
Arrow down to the account that you want to send from and then tab twice to get back to the too box.
Type in the person's name and tab to subject.
Type the subject and tab to the message area and continue as normal.

## Spell checking in thunderbird is the same as outlook express.
You press, F7, and the spell checker is displayed.
You will be told which word is spelled wrong.
Tab to the list of suggestions, arrow to the one you want and tab to change.
You can also tab to ignore if you do not wish to make any changes.

## To create a new sub folder in your account.
Tab to the, treeview, and arrow up/down until jaws says the name of your account.
Press, applications, and click new folder.
Type your new folder name and press, enter. The folder will then be created.
Note that with some email providers, you have to arrow to the inbox and go to create new folder from there. this is not the case with GMail, the first method is recommended.

## Moving messages to a certain folder is quite simple.
Arrow to the message you wish to move.
Press, applications, and a menu will open.
Arrow to, move too, and press, enter.
Arrow down to the account you wish to move the message to and press, enter.
Finally, arrow down to the folder you wish to move the message too and press, enter.

## To send a message to multiple people.
Press, control N, for new message.
Select the first person you want to send to by typing the first few letters of their name.
Then press, enter, once you have the right person.
A second box will be displayed and your screen reader will say, too edit combo blank.
To tell thunderbird we want this box to be a CC box, press shift tab once and use your arrows to select the option you'd like CC, BCC, etc.
When you have selected the right option, press, tab, back to the edit box.
Instead of, too edit combo, your screen reader should now say, BCC edit combo, or the option you picked.
Find the person you'd like to add to the email by typing their name, and press, enter, again if you'd like to select a third person to send to.
Keep doing this until you've selected all the people you'd like to send to.
Then tab, to subject, fill in the box and press, tab, to the main message box.
Type your message and press, control enter, to send.

## To access, settings, for example to request, a read receipt.
When writing your message, press, alt P, for the message options menu and, tick, the option you'd like to enable, for example, request read receipt.

## To attach a file to a message.
Press, control shift A, when you're writing your message.
A file browse box will open and allow you to select the file you'd like to send.

## To view attachments.
Go in to the message that has an attachment.
Press, alt M, for the message menu, then press, H, for attachments.
The files that are attached to the message will be displayed.
Press, enter, on the one you'd like to open or save, and then arrow to the option you'd like i.e., open, save, etc.

## To search for a particular sender, In any folder.
Press control shift K, this will take you to an edit box where your screen reader will say, filter edit.
Type in a keyword to filter your messages, for example, mobeen, so it filters all the messages specifically from me.
Then press tab to get to the list.
When done looking for my message, press, shift tab, to get back to the filter box.
Then press, escape, twice to close the box.
Note: if you do not do this, thunderbird will continue only displaying messages from me.

## To create a filter in thunderbird.
Press, alt T, for tools.
Go down to, message filters, and press, enter.
A list of your message filters will be displayed.
If you'd like to change or remove one, arrow to it and press, tab, to edit.

## If you would like to create a new filter.
Tab across to the new option and press, enter.
Fill in the boxes as follows.
Filter name: self explanatory, to define it in the list.
Tab past the next 2 boxes they can be left checked and again are self explanatory.
Tab again and leave the box that says, before junk classification, as it is.
Press, tab, and thunderbird will say, match all of the following.
This is again the option we want, so tab twice more to reach the box that says, subject.
This box is the box that allows us to specify how thunderbird searches for the message, for example, by subject, from, keywords, etc.
In this case, we want to select the, from, option, so arrow down to, from.
Tab again and the next box allows us to tell thunderbird will differentiate and search the, from, field.
For example, some of the options in this box are, contains, doesn't contain, ends with, begins with etc.
Your filter can search the from address for those statements.
Select the one you'd like, then tab to the edit box and type or paste the address you'd like to filter, for example, igain.com.
Press tab twice more to the, move message too, box.
This box allows us to choose what thunderbird does with a message.
Leave this set, to move too, and tab again.
The next box allows you to select where thunderbird will move the message too.
To select the folder, do the following.
Press, alt down arrow, and your screen reader should say, expanded.
Press your, right arrow, once.
Then press, down arrow, once.
You should hear the name of your email account sub menu.
Press, right arrow, then, arrow down, until you get to, deleted, or the folder you want to move to and press, enter.
Now tab to, OK, and the filter should be created.

## To back up your thunderbird folder.
Exit thunderbird, then, press windows R and paste the following:
"
%userprofile%
"
and press, enter.
After pressing enter, your user profile folder will open.
Press T for thunderbirdPortable, and press control C to copy the folder to your clipboard.
Paste the folder to another hard drive or to your preferred backup location.
This procedure backs up everything, so should anything go wrong in future you can simply paste the folder back to your user profile folder and continue using thunderbird as if nothing had happened.

A full list of shortcuts can be found at:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/keyboard-shortcuts#thunderbird:win7:tb24

* * *