Re: Thunderbird Tutorial?

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

hi Jeff

Yep it can be found up on the website i am putting together. it also has nvda audio and written tutorials along with other blindness related material.

The web page can be found at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/accessible%20email%20client%20mozilla%20thunderbird.html

Later on today or tomorrow, i have settings to go up there to set up mozilla thunderbird so it can get outlook.com email which i think do hotmail and outlook.com stuff.

I had to change settings lately on 2 machines something musstive changed on the site.

Any how i know the settings going up work, so will post them if any one else has a problem with either there emails not going out or coming in from out look.com

Gene nz

On 25/11/2016 4:36 AM, J Harrington wrote:
Gene, is your Thunderbird tutorial still available?  If so where might I find it?

Jeff

Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 7:10 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] strange thing happening in thunderbird

Hi

Are filters the same as message rules if so there is a page from mozilla that covers this at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/organize-your-messages-using-filters

Also adding attachment and also saving them to your pc is pretty easy.

I think a while back i covered how to add a attachment to your email and also saving it to your pc in my thunderbird tutorial.

The insert attachment is still under the file menu and your attachments are now found in your messages section. Not much as changed in thunderbird.

Gene nz

On 24/11/2016 2:46 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

Hi, Gene,

You're right about not being able to create message rules in windows live mail if you have an immap account. As far as thunderbird, there was supposed to be a tutorial on message rules but that never happened. That tutorial was also supposed to cover attachments but I think the person who was supposed to do the tutorial died. He worked for GW Micro.

Rosemarie

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 5:34 PM

Opinions may differ.  You may want to try Windows Live Mail.  The newer version uses ribbons.  The older version uses menus but you will have to get the older version from an individual.  Microsoft no longer distributes it.  I've heard contradictory things about whether the old version runs in Windows 10. 

One difference between Windows Live Mail and thunderbird that I consider somewhat substantive is that you can't make message rules in Windows Live Mail if you are using an IMAP account. Thunderbird lets you do so.

You can make message rules on the server level so using Windows Live Mail doesn't preclude message rules but I've never looked into how this is done.

Aside from that, I consider Windows Live Mail to have small advantages, but they may matter enough to consider.

Windows Live Mail has a very convenient short cut.  You can return to the default inbox from any folder if you issue the command control I. 

also, you can rearange the order of header fields and determine which fields are shown from the keyboard.  Thunderbird requires using a mouse or your screen-reader's drag and drop feature.  You can't rearange the order of fields or determine which fields are displayed from the keyboard.

And the question of rearanging the order of columns is made more important because Thunderbird shows and reads header columns in an order that a lot of blind people wouldn't want.  It reads the subject first, then the from line.  If it followed the standard order, the question of not being able to rearrange columns from the keyboard might be of slight matter.  But since the columns are in an order that would be considered undesirable for many blind people, that matter becomes more important.

Windows 10 has its own e-mail app but I'll let others comment on that.  I don't have Windows 10 and I haven't used it nor learned much about it.

Gene 

Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 3:13 PM

OK when using NVDA as your primary screen reader is there a better
choice for a Email client than Thunderbird?  I currently don't have
access to outlook.
Thanks

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.