Re: Accessible battery Management Programs

David <trailerdavid@...>

Which of course seems the easiest. Yet, I am not a fan of doing that.

The technology in modern screens might be a bit vulnerable to this "easy way out".

Whenever you leave your computer unattended for a while, the picture of the screen will be statically staying unaltered. This means that all the tiny lightening dots - what is named pixels - on the screen will be in a static position. Each pixel has a certain lifetime, and the longer you leave it turned on, the faster it will outburn. In the end, your screen will develop "dead" spots, which will render it useless for sighted people.

The text that stays on the screen for such excessive periods of time, might also end up being "burned" into the screen material. That is to say, the shaddow of it will stay on the screen, even when the picture is altered. Nothing that happens for a day or two, but over time, and again something that will disturb the screen appearance for sighted persons.

Lastly, Turning off the screen saver altogether, will do exactly the opposite of what the initial user was looking for. Think of it this way.

The user wanted a way to save battery.

The screen uses power to lighten all pixels needed for showing a picture.

Leaving the screen always on, by turning off the screen saver, will definitely drain the battery. The screen then will use power to keep the current picture frozen.

Choosing a BLANK screen saver, on the other hand, means the screen is forced to show an empty page. That is, it is going to turn each and every pixel off, way across the whole screen. Lights that are turned off, do not consume any power. Light that is turned off, cannot be outburned. It saves battery power, and it saves the screen's lifetime.

Then, what about a standard screen saver?

It typically will show a picture, that every so often changes. Some tend to scroll across the screen, others are more like a live movie showing some kind of nature, acting characters, or a burning fireplace. Even, some make a live camera picture come up, whenever they are not using the screen. For instance, you could have a wireless camera installed in the trees in your garden, and whenever you are not using the computer, it will display a live picture of the birds feeding their chicks out in the nest, realtime.

Sum of it all, the screen saver's main mission is, to have the screen permanently altering. Namely to save the pixels from staying static, namely to prevent the screen from outburning. A screen saver consequently does consume power, and not very little either. Turning it off, still means the screen is showing a picture. Choosing a blank screen saver, will mean the screen goes blank, and is by far the most effecient way to save both battery and screen lifetime.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

David

On 11/30/2016 9:21 PM, Gene wrote:
I meant to say just turn the screen-saver completely off.

gene