NVDA & Microsoft Word Forms #msftaccessibility

Hello All,

          The following discussion is in regard to how NVDA is working with this Microsoft Word Template:  BusNote.dotx.  When you open it in Word you get a form on which you can simply fill in various text fields and checkboxes.  I have developed it with status bar text which is announced when you land in a given checkbox or text field and the same announcement can be repeated using F1.  For those who have experience developing MS-Word form templates, I am using the legacy controls, not the active X controls, for the various text fields and checkboxes.

           When NVDA is running, and I open this template in MS-Word, I can see that focus is indeed on the first field, which is the "Teacher and or Grade" text box.  However, NVDA does not announce this as its initial landing position.  If I tab forward to the next field, Student Name, that gets announced and SHIFT+TAB back to the "Teacher and or Grade" field gets that one announced, too.

            Is this an NVDA bug, possibly, or is there something I'd need to do to the form such that the field on which NVDA has focus when it's opened for filling in is correctly announced?

    ~ Lauren Bacall