Re: how to use mozilla thunderbird with nvda?

Ron Canazzi

Hello:

Thunderbird is pretty straight forward. Once you install the program, you must set up your account. By default, after the first installation, this screen comes up--where you enter your e-mail address, name, server settings and so on. If for some reason, it does not come up after the first installation, then you can find settings for the e-mail account under the tools menu (alt +
T) and the accounting settings (press S after alt + T) item.

Once the account settings screen comes up, tab once to the account settings button and press space bar. A context menu opens and one of the choice is 'add e-mail account.' If you choose this item, a standard mail configuration screen comes up and you fill in your information.

Now here are a few settings that I prefer. Others may have different opinions. I came from the Outlook Express experience in earlier versions of Windows, so I set my view settings as follows.

Under the tool bars menu under view, I have menu bar and status bar checked.

Under the layout sub menu item under view, I have the folder pain checked and the classic view item checked. I do not have the message pain checked. This causes problems with many screen reader users. If this gets checked by accident, it toggles on and off with the press of the function Key 8 on your keyboard.

Under the folder sub menu item under view, I have the all item checked--nothing else.

Under the today pane, I have none checked--nothing else. This feature is nice for sighted people, but it can cause issues for screen readers.

The sort by item is up to you. I have date and ascending order checked which places the most recent messages at the bottom of the list in each folder.

The thread sub menu item is also personal preference but I have all checked and then I use the command letter N when in a folder with no open messages to unsort to read each message separately so they won't open all at once and the letter T for setting them back to threaded so I can do mass deletions.

Under the headers sub menu item, I have normal checked. This avoids the full headers which take up a massive amount of space with gibberish most people don't understand.

Under the message body as item, I have simple HTML which suffices for most purposes.

The display attachments inline should be unchecked--otherwise files you attach which are binary or music will create a lot of gibberish that no one can read.

Now here are a few shortcut and hotkeys to get you started. Many of them are similar to Outlook Express with a few notable exceptions.

To bring up the address book where you can create e-mail address and properly send e-mail, the keystroke is control+ shift + B. From the address book, check the various sub menus for how to create new entries (control + N) and so on.

To start a new message from scratch without using the address book, the keystroke is Control + N.

To reply to a message you have received the keystroke is Control + R. If you wish to respond to everyone in the headers the keystroke is control + shift + R.

Here's one odd one. To forward a message, press control + L. This differs from most other Microsoft clients which use Control +

F.

Control + F is used either to find messages in a folder with no open messages, or to find text in an open message.

To attach a file, from an open message you are writing, press control + shift + A. This opens a browse for folder/file dialogue where you can move to the default folder for attachments.

Once you have completed writing a message, you can either configure the message to be sent immediately under your account settings or you can use the keystroke control + enter to send the message. If send immediately is not configured, you will receive a prompt to send the message after pressing control + enter to whcih you respond yes.

As far as navigation from folder to folder, the easiest way to do this in my opinion is to use the Function key 6 (F6) keystroke that will move ou from the list of messages, to the tabs to the folder list. For example, if you are in the list of messages and you press F6, you should go to the folder list. One important thing to remember is that first letter navigation within the folder list is not possible for some reason. Unlike in Outlook Express, you must use up and down arrow keys to move from one folder to another in the tree view and then press tab once to move to the list of messages in each folder. That's one big drawback.

For any more settings issues, use the tools menu alt + T and choose options. There are a bunch of settings for everything from signatures to just how return receipts are handled. Explore these settings and make preferred choices.

As with any new program, check under the various menus--both from the main inbox folder and from wsithin a new message or open message to get further tips and tricks as to how to use the program.

On 12/4/2016 2:52 AM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
hello every one.
i tried mozilla thunderbird for the second time without any success.
i could not do anything with it.
could you please send me a link which contains complete tutorial in
using thunderbird with nvda?
thanks extremely for your help and God bless you all.
--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"