From: "David" <trailerdavid@hotmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2016 8:40 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] regression with adobe flash

The NoScript add-on for firefox, is extremely simple to use. And it
works all by key commands, so is fully accessible. The difference with
and without it running, in certain cases could be described as nothing
less than extreme.

Get it installed, by downloading it from the official Firefox Add-On
website. Note that if you get copies from outside that site, the add-on
might not be signed, hence will be blocked in Firefox 45 or above.

Once installed, go ahead and do your browsing as normal. When you get to
a page which might seem cluttered, or in any other way trouble you, do
as follow.

Hit the App-key, alternatively Shift-F10, to open the application menu.
Arrow down to the entry that says NoScript. Hit Enter, or Right-Arrow,
to open the submenu.

You now will see a list of all scripts that are tied to this site. For
each script, there will be two entries. One to permanently allow the
script, and one for only temporarily allowing the script running. All
scripts that has not been allowed, will automatically be blocked.

So, scroll your way down the scripts, allowing the ones you will know
you can trust, and which will not cause trouble. If you are in doubt of
one of the entries, simply try with it blocked, and then try temporarily
allowing it. The temporary allowance will stay in effect, long as you
are on that particular site. Leaving the site, and then revisiting it,
only the permanently allowed scripts will stay allowed. Even if you find
that one script - which you previously have allowed - causes you some
trouble, you can easily go into the NoScript submenu and block it from
future run.

The NoScript also has its own Options page, where you can set numerous
behavial options for the add-on's functionality. For instance, I have
set mine to give a sound signal, whenever it is blocking scripts.
Thereby I know that there might be a chance things will change, if I try
unblocking some scripts. Useful when you hit a new site, and think it
should show more info than what is currently the case.

One place I do see a whole big difference with the add-on running, is
when visiting sites on EBay. Some of their scripts are simply just
causing big issues with a screen reader. Blocking them with NoScript is
a matter of a breeze, and results in the EBay system to be far more
blind friendly. Other netshops, or sites that are loaded with ads, might
be far more accessible, when you block some of all the visualizing
scripts, and other fancy-ware they love to put on modern webpages.

Yet another good thing about NoScript, is this:
Many fo the scripts you will experience on the websites you visit, tend
to install cookies on your computer. These might in turn cause trouble.
For instance, a cookie on your computer, might cause certain background
activity to keep in business, even when you leave the website that
initiated the script. Such could be the trouble that causes a screen
reader to malfunction. Have seen this numerous times. Since NoScript
blocks the script from initiating itself, it also blocks the cookie from
being installed on your computer, hence no further activity of that
script can take place. Your system simply might just benefit from the
less polluted environment.

Like I said, many websites these days, tend to load your system with
numerous, less beneficial scripts. For instance, there ar many scripts
that will activate advertisements on the site. Others intend to give the
website a more fancy look, that is, for the sighted person. For the
screen reader, it could mean the whole page to be inaccessible. Some
scripts are collecting statistical information about your browsing
behavior; who knows what they are going to use that for. And still
others will cause the page to be constantly updated, like in the case of
EBay sites. Blocking these scripts, will cause your screen reader to get
a more stabil webpage to read.

For those who have not yet given the NoScript add-on for Firefox a try,
I strongly recommend it. It has been around for a number of years, is
totally free, receives frequent updates, and has been suggested for many
a screen reader user.. In fact, it was another user who adviced I give
it a try. And I have never looked back. It is the number one add-on I
install on new installations of Firefox.

David

On 12/3/2016 5:12 PM, Gene wrote:
The way you discussed enabling or disabling JAVA script in
about:config is one way. There is a plug in named no script but I
haven't used it enough to evaluate it well. I'm not sure how easy it is
to use it to block scripts and unblock them. Others will probably
comment on that.

One convenient option is to use two different copies of Firefox
portable on your machine. Or you could use the installed version and
have a copy of Firefox portable on the same machine. You would have
JAVA scripts disabled in one of the programs and enabled in the other.
You could easily and conveniently use one browser on a site where you
want to use JAVA scripts and the other browser where you don't want to
use them. You wouldn't have to then keep changing settings in the browser.

Gene