Re: Firefox Browse & Focus Mode

Quentin Christensen

Hi Sakina,

"Basic Training for NVDA" is one of the official training modules from NV Acces.  Each of the 14 sections is broken up into a number of topics, and each topic has information about the specific feature, and then an activity which walks you through using that feature.  At the end of each section is a review activity which gets you to use the skills learnt in that section with less prompting.  This is a good chance to ensure that you are comfortable with what was covered and go back if needed.

The section on using the web for instance, contains the following topics:

10 Browsing the Web
10.1 Opening Internet Explorer
10.2 Web Pages
10.3 Browse Mode Document Reading Keys
10.4 Heading Navigation
10.5 Web Page Links
10.6 Single Letter Navigation
10.7 The Browse Mode Elements List
10.8 More on the Elements List
10.9 Searching for Text
10.10 Tables
10.11 Browse Mode Containers
10.12 Filling in Forms
10.13 Reading Search Results
10.14 Form Navigation Keys
10.15 Check Boxes and Radio Buttons
10.16 Manually Activating Focus Mode
10.17 Browsing the Web Review

It is available in Braille or electronic text, with audio due out shortly: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 11:09 PM, Sakina <sakina.gable@...> wrote:

Hello Quentin,

In the below help email you mention

there are several topics on this in the Basic Training module for anyone wanting a bit more practice or info).

Please can you give me more info or guidance as I am just a beginner and would appreciate any help.

Thank you to  all who help one another.

With many regards to all

Sakina

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 11:47 PM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Firefox Browse & Focus Mode

Just to add a bit more info on changing between focus and browse modes:

- If you press TAB to move onto a form field (like an edit box), NVDA will automatically switch from Browse to Focus mode.

- If you use the arrows or single letter navigation (eg E for edit box) to get there, NVDA does NOT automatically switch to focus mode (you may not want that edit box but need to get past it to the next one).

If you find yourself on a form field in Browse mode, you can press ENTER to go into Focus mode.  Similarly, when in a form field, if you want to go back to Browse mode, press ESCAPE.

If you press NVDA+spacebar, then it forces NVDA to change modes (from Browse to Focus or Focus to Browse), and from that point, will stay in whatever mode it has just changed to, until you press NVDA+spacebar to change again or a new web page loads.  This feature is particularly useful when completing a long web form which has many form fields interspersed with text and you don't want it to keep jumping between focus and browse modes.

(And yes, there are several topics on this in the Basic Training module for anyone wanting a bit more practice or info).

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 5:29 AM, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:

Hi Brian

In the ‘Browse  Mode’ dialog, if you uncheck the box ‘Audio indication of focus and browse modes’, NVDA says ‘Browse’ or ‘Focus Mode’ instead of using the sounds you described.

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 29 November 2016 17:32
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Firefox Browse & Focus Mode

I have never had NVDA announce browse versus focus mode verbally, though I imagine it could be a setting.

If I land in a field where the mode automatically changes from browse to focus NVDA plays a sound that is a high-pitched, quick electronic beep paired with a sound somewhat like keyboard key being struck.  If I switch back to browse mode by hitting NVDA+Spacebar the sound is a single alert that sounds a bit like a bell being struck.

I just tested in a couple of Firefox pages and things are behaving as expected with NVDA's default settings.  I don't get those transition sounds from NVDA when I land in an edit box, though, it announces what I've landed in and says "editable" (I think).
--
Brian

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.

~ Lauren Bacall

--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org 
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org 
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.