Re: Is any release prior to the latest stable release, and the next RC release, officially supported? #NVDARelease

Quentin Christensen

Hi Brian,

Essentially only the latest stable (and currently as you noted, RC) versions of NVDA are supported, in that if we fix a bug, that fix will only go into a new build.

Ideally, if someone is having a problem and finds that reverting to an earlier build resolves the issue, we'd very much prefer they communicate that to us via a GitHub issue, or at least here on the list or to me personally so that we can endeavour to resolve it.  The current version should still work at least as far back as Windows XP (If anyone is using Windows 98 or earlier, I'd be curious to hear your experiences with NVDA just for my own interest if nothing else).

Perhaps this thread might be a good place for anyone who is using a version of NVDA prior to 2016.3, to share why that is? I can ensure that any issues are recorded on GitHub, but I'd also be able to compile a list that I can take back to Mick and Jamie and say "these are issues that are currently keeping users on old versions of NVDA".

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 9:23 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

The subject pretty much asks it all.

In topic after topic I see people saying that they're using old, often really old, versions of NVDA.  That is entirely their choice, and I'm not questioning that.

What I'd like to know is how many versions, if any, other than the latest stable release and the RC releases, are "officially" supported by NVAccess.

Knowing how much change occurs as releases roll out over time I know it's impossible to keep supporting prior releases in perpetuity or anything close to it.  I also know that it generally makes no sense to try to replicate a bug in a release different than the one it's been detected in except as an effort to determine if it is a "carry forward" that was previously undetected versus newly introduced.

It's almost impossible to know "what's what" unless individuals using NVDA are all using the latest stable version so far as issue reporting goes.  That's why, particularly for open-source software, I make it a habit to religiously upgrade to the latest release whether I need the latest "bells and whistles" or not.  Unless there is some really buggy release (and I'm talking generally, not NVDA in particular) it just makes everyone's lives much easier.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer