Re: google chrome comment

Pete <emac00@...>

On 3/20/2016 2:45 AM, Pete wrote:

  Some clarification please for what variant of chrome is being discussed!  E.G.  google chrome  /  chromewin32  /  etc...

On 3/19/2016 8:12 AM, Gene wrote:
As far as streaming is concerned, that may be the result of what the browser is using as its default streaming program.  Chrome uses HTML5
---cut---
is there a html5 installable for firefox?
---cut---

for streaming on Youtube, for example.  I don't know what Firefox or Internet Explorer uses.  If either one uses Flash as the default streaming player, then results may differ.  Also, we don't know anything about your connection reliability and speed.  I don't like Flash but I don't have pauses, in general, when sites use it to stream.

If Chrome does load pages faster on some sites, that would be something that many users would have to verify.
If Firefox were significantly slower than Chrome, a lot or most of its long time users, sighted and blind, would have abandoned it by now.

Taking twenty or thirty secondes to load web pages would have resulted in a lot of discussion on list of blind computer users and I have seen none.  I'm not saying that there is no difference.  There may be differences on some pages but nothing like twenty seconds.  And I suspect the differences are so minor that a lot of people don't base their browser use on them.

I'm glad you clarified your point about using more than one browser.  It is important that blind users keep this in mind.  It is also not proper methodology to generalize in terms of performance based on one person's experience.  If someone says that in their experience, they have found this or that, that's one thing.  But blanket statements shouldn't be made that Chrome is faster based on one user's experience.  There are too many factors that might cause differences to generalize.

Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2016 3:27 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] google chrome comment

Hi all,
I must clear something up. I do not advocate dumping one browser for another. Actually, I use IE 11, Firefox, and Google Chrome. Each browser is best for certain web sites and also what you use the browser for. For example, I like using the mobile Facebook site on IE 11 better than the other two browsers. However, when I play YouTube videos, I like Chrome much better, because the video never pauses or stops altogether. I use Firefox for my banking site. It is good to have two or three browsers, because a web site may act totally different in one browser than in another. On both of my computers running win10, Chrome loads most web pages at least 20 seconds faster than in Firefox and 30 seconds faster than IE 11. It could be my laptops and set up as well. My advise is to have as many tools at your disposal as possible so you can do as many jobs as you can. Take care, and have a great one.