Re: Is any release prior to the latest stable release, and the next RC release, officially supported? #NVDARelease

David <trailerdavid@...>

Just for your correction.

You said you do NOT have any other screen reader to test? I do
understand what you mean, but it is not fully and completely true.

ALL, and I mean ALL flavors of Windows - from at least XP and up - holds
Microsoft's embedded screen reader, named NARRATOR. Though far from
being a full-fledged screen reader, it many times can help you out. For
instance, due to its very basic functionality, it at least could give
you some idea to what extend a piece of software is accessible at all.
If NARRATOR cannot help you out, then chances are that the software at
the minimum requires some more advanced features of the screen reader.

I do, and have don so in other settings, on a general basis encourage
all: If your high-end screen reader cannot do what you want, give
Narrator a go. Then com back and report your findings.

Might sound a bit awkward at first glance. But sometimes the high-end
screen readers might have settings, that complicates the usage of a
software. Running Narrator, finding that things work, you might be able
to start tracing why the high-end screen reader does not do what you expect.

Furthermore, most - if not all - of the high-end screen readers, do have
downloadable demo-versions. Might be an idea, to download and install at
least one such demo, and use it for cases when you want to determine if
NVDA is the bottleneck of your issue. Far as I know, they all provide
you fully working products, with an up-time of anything from 30 to 60
minutes; Enough time to get an idea of whether your third-party software
is workable or not.

In the older days, installing more than one screen reader, sometimes
caused system trouble. To the best of my knowledge, such is NOT the case
any longer, and have not been for a decade or so. In other words,
encouraged are everyone, to go get yourself at least one backup screen
reader, if nothing else go for a demo. It further might help the tech
team of NVDA getting to the core of your problem, if you can describe
what is taken place when running an alternative screen reader.

How do you know, if you prefer McDonald burgers, if you never tasted
anything but Burger-King?

David

On 12/5/2016 5:22 PM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
gene.
thanks so much for helping me to test the program.
i dont have any screen reader except nvda to test.
me too, use windows xp service pack 3
you dont need to use nvda cursors to intract with potplayer menus.
you should only press the application keys and you can access to all
menus and options by normal arrow keys.
only nvda freezes and says nothing in the windows except unknown.
i should restart nvda to work as normal.

Well, this thread has taken an interesting turn that I hadn't ever
anticipated (and, to quote Seinfeld, "not that there's anything wrong with
that.")

So I'll use this to get back on my soapbox about when anyone encounters an
issue with any software or combination of software:

* if you cannot give steps necessary to replicate the problem there's
virtually no hope that the problem can or will be solved
* if you can give steps necessary to replicate the problem, but others
running the same operating system and similar overall configuration that you
are don't have it when they perform those steps, this suggests an
idiosyncratic problem with your own system

I cannot count the number of times when I've spent hours on a given problem
only to find out that it was a weird interaction between two programs that
are installed, that a system has not been updated and old DLL files are
being called that have errors that have long ago been fixed, etc.

I'm not saying that anyone is directly "at fault" for anything, but these
are factors that you must consider and there will be occasions when "it's
just you" as well as many more when it's "not just you." Having a
detective's mindset is essential in instances such as this.
--
*Brian*

*Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete. If
you’re alive, it isn’t.*

~ Lauren Bacall