Re: Is any release prior to the latest stable release, and the next RC release, officially supported? #NVDARelease

Gene

There is an interesting discussion about an earlier version of the player and NVDA as well as without NVDA here.

The player may have had and may still have one or more issues that should be addressed by the developers. 

Whetehr one or more issues you discuss is an NVDA issue or whether the issues are entirely issues with the player, I don't know.  but the player had at least one serious issue in the past and we don't know if it has been addressed.

I would suggest that you tell the list what you are looking for in terms of abilities and functionality in a player and see what responses you get. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Is any release prior to the latest stable release, and the next RC release, officially supported? #NVDARelease

Also, what version of the player are you using?  My version had no menus and the screen was not readable.  If you are using an older version, accessibility may have changed.  If you are using a newer version, accessibility may have changed as well. I assumed I was using the latest version because I downloaded it from the site.  but your very different description of the program interface raises the question of which version you are using.  My version is 1.6.6385619.7.

Also, you said you tried various players and didn't like them.  if you explain why, you might find there are ways around what you didn't like or that you didn't know some commands that would make the programs much more friendly.  Even the positive review I read, which talked about many features of the program the reviewer liked, discussed features that would only be of interest to sighted users such as controling how subtitles are displayed and other visual features of the program.  The reviewer compared the program to VLC player, saying it did some things better but saying it was similar to VLC Player.  It is seldom the case that, in an area like this, with such a wide variety of programs that there is only one satisfactory program. 

Also, there may be ways of getting more out of a program than you are aware of.  For example, there is an add on for Winamp available for use with NVDA which provides more functionality than is available without the program. 

Gene
----- Original Message -----
> gene.
> thanks so much for helping me to test the program.
> i dont have any screen reader except nvda to test.
> me too, use windows xp service pack 3
> you dont need to use nvda cursors to intract with potplayer menus.
> you should only press the application keys and you can access to all
> menus and options by normal arrow keys.
> only nvda freezes and says nothing in the windows except unknown.
> i should restart nvda to work as normal.
>
> On 12/5/16, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
>> Well, this thread has taken an interesting turn that I hadn't ever
>> anticipated (and, to quote Seinfeld, "not that there's anything wrong with
>> that.")
>>
>> So I'll use this to get back on my soapbox about when anyone encounters an
>> issue with any software or combination of software:
>>
>> * if you cannot give steps necessary to replicate the problem there's
>> virtually no hope that the problem can or will be solved
>> * if you can give steps necessary to replicate the problem, but others
>> running the same operating system and similar overall configuration that you
>> are don't have it when they perform those steps, this suggests an
>> idiosyncratic problem with your own system
>>
>> I cannot count the number of times when I've spent hours on a given problem
>> only to find out that it was a weird interaction between two programs that
>> are installed, that a system has not been updated and old DLL files are
>> being called that have errors that have long ago been fixed, etc.
>>
>> I'm not saying that anyone is directly "at fault" for anything, but these
>> are factors that you must consider and there will be occasions when "it's
>> just you" as well as many more when it's "not just you."  Having a
>> detective's mindset is essential in instances such as this.
>> --
>> *Brian*
>>
>> *Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If
>> you’re alive, it isn’t.*
>>
>>     ~ Lauren Bacall
>>
>

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.