Re: Clarification: screen reader name change and its impact

Pete <emac00@...>

  It makes sense to me.
  Thanks  Pete

On 3/19/2016 1:36 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

Some of you asked why can’t NV Access change the name of NVDA to something else. Here are the reasons why (some of them technical):

·         NVDA is a desktop program (not a WinRT or universal app), thus the name “NonVisual Desktop Access” makes sense.

·         NVDA was originally designed to access desktop programs. With the advent of Windows Runtime (WinRT) and Universal Windows Platform (UWP), NvDA developers (including I) are working on enhanced support for new style of apps.

·         Add-on extensions: With the assumption that NVDA will stand for “NonVisual Desktop Access”, the extension of add-ons has been defined as “nvda-addon”. Changing the name of the screen reader will cause confusion for add-on authors, especially those overseeing community add-ons website and are charged with reviewing new add-ons (I’m an add-on author and serve as a reviewer, and I’m the current quarterly add-on release coordinator/manager, tasked with consulting other add-on authors as to what should go into seasonal maintenance versions of various add-ons).

Thus, when we do change a screen reader’s name, not only it impacts users, but also its brand image, technical side of things and so on.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joseph