Re: Potential problem with the Remote addon

Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...>

But I want the bipass command and the F11 to be executed at the remote end.

I'm not sure how much more simple to put this.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 7:29 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Potential problem with the Remote addon

Hi

There has to be a key or key combination which the controlling NVDA uses to switch the key send feature, in this case it happens to be f11.  Using the bypass command doesn’t work because if you are sending keys, it’s executing at the remote end.  Perhaps the remote add-on could be tweaked to use a double or triple  tap of F11 to switch the key sending mode on and off, with a single keypress being treated as any other key.

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Christopher-Mark Gilland
Sent: 6 December 2016 00:00
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Yeah, I sent it to the list earlier, but, who knows... LOL! It's all good.

Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 6:32 PM

Yes, that makes sense.  I don't recall your original message but it makes sense now. 

Gene

------ Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 4:48 PM

Gene,

One of us is confused.

Yes it does make sense you'd issue the bypass command. This friend of mine has an app that he uses which uncommonly has F11 mapped as one of the keystrokes to perform a task within that application.  So, regardless if NVDA is in the equasion or not, even if a sighted person was using this same application, F11 would be the command one would need to hit to execute this function. The problem is, F11 is also assigned to the NVDA remote addon to toggle between sending or not sending keys.

If I am trying to help him with something in this program, and we get to the point where F11 is required, yeah, I can make him hit the key for me, but that's really a poor way of doing things. I should be able in one form a or another to have the same level of control as him, not 99.9999%. If I am sending keys, and am focused in that application on his system, then try hitting F11, it stops sending keys. Why? Because F11 is ultimately set to be interceptid by the Remote Addon, so therefore that  takes

precedents over the application in question therefore causing a key conflict. This is why I need the Remote addon to ignore me hitting F11. This way the application sees it, not the remote addon. That's why I was trying to first do a pass key through.

If this doesn't make sense, then I'm not sure how more elementary to explain it. Maybe someone else can.

Chris.

Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 5:37 PM

It doesn't make sense that you would use the bypass key before issuing the f11 command.  This is clearly an NVDA add on command and you would want it to go to NVDA so the add on will intercept it and take an action. 

Whatever the problem is, the bypass key won't solve it, as you found.

Gene

Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 4:32 PM

Subject: [nvda] Potential problem with the Remote addon

So, a friend and I were both playing with the NVDA Remote addon. I was controlling his computer.

The Addon worked flawlessly with one exception:  For whatever reason, you know how F11 is used for sending/not sending keys? I know earlier I talked about needing the keystroke to pass a key through, which was told to me to be NVDA+F2. Thank you for that information, by the way. The problem is, even after doing this, hearing NVDA say pass key through, then hitting F11, I can't send an F11 key to his computer, no matter what!

He! can hit F11 and obviously it works, but shouldn't the controller also be able to do this?

This one's got me a bit baffled. Further, in the Tools menu of NVDA under Remote, I tried sending a CTRL+Alt+Del, and that neither is working. It just acts like I did nothing at all.

Does anyone know how to get both these issues resolved short of contacting Christopher Toth, who usually never seems to respond back to me cvia e-mail nor via Twitter, not sure why not?

Chris.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.