Re: Only speak pressed keyboard characters and nothing else

Quentin Christensen

There are options you can turn off which will reduce what is announced, although nothing that will directly do what you are asking.  If you are using the built-in eSpeak NG voice, sometimes pressing SHIFT can stop speech a little quicker than control.  Shift actually pauses NVDA - and pressing shift again continues speaking exactly where it left off.  Control stops speech and does not have a corresponding "continue" function.

Some options you could turn off:

- Everything in the document formatting dialog (NVDA+control+d) - this dialog controls whether NVDA announces text changes (eg bold or change in alignment), elements such as lists or headings on web pages etc.

- Everything on the Object presentation dialog (NVDA+control+o).

- Automatic say all on page load, in Browse mode settings (NVDA+control+b) which controls whether web pages are automatically read out as they finish loading.

Otherwise, there isn't an option (or group of options) that will do exactly what you want.  Those I highlighted will do some, which may be enough.

Otherwise, I would recommend learning more about NVDA - once you understand what it is reading, it is easier to ignore the parts that you don't need at that moment.  We have started offering a range of training modules.  I'd recommend the Basic Training for NVDA to start with as it contains most things you need to know.

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 5:52 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
Simply press control to stop the announcement.  Control stops speech.  Or take some other action such as down arrowing or whatever you want to do on the site.  You don't have to wait for speech to stop.  Screen-readers are designed to stop old speech and speak what you currently are doing.

Similarly, when up or down arrowing in a document, as an example, if a line is being read, when you up or down arrow or move in other ways or type a letter, old speech will stop and the new line you have moved to will be read.  Or is you move the cursor to the next letter or word, it will be spoken.

From: Gene <gsasner@...>
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
It isn't clear what you want.  Do you want the computer to continue to work with commands or type when you are in a word processor, but just announce letters and nothing such as what window you are in if you move from window to window?  There is nothing like that and it would be very difficult for people with a number of windows opened to function if the window you move to isn't announced.

NVDA does have a feature that will announce what keys are if you press them but the keys won't do anything.  This is to allow people to famaliarize themselves with commands and look for commands without the computer taking any actions.  It also announces letters and numbers and some other things.

The command is NVDA key 1 that is 1 on the main keyboard.

You can turn this command on and hold the insert key and press various functionkeys as well, such as f1, f2, etc. to see what they do.