Re: Only speak pressed keyboard characters and nothing else

Quentin Christensen

There are options you can turn off which will reduce what is announced, although nothing that will directly do what you are asking.  If you are using the built-in eSpeak NG voice, sometimes pressing SHIFT can stop speech a little quicker than control.  Shift actually pauses NVDA - and pressing shift again continues speaking exactly where it left off.  Control stops speech and does not have a corresponding "continue" function.

Some options you could turn off:

- Everything in the document formatting dialog (NVDA+control+d) - this dialog controls whether NVDA announces text changes (eg bold or change in alignment), elements such as lists or headings on web pages etc.

- Everything on the Object presentation dialog (NVDA+control+o).

- Automatic say all on page load, in Browse mode settings (NVDA+control+b) which controls whether web pages are automatically read out as they finish loading.

Otherwise, there isn't an option (or group of options) that will do exactly what you want.  Those I highlighted will do some, which may be enough.

Otherwise, I would recommend learning more about NVDA - once you understand what it is reading, it is easier to ignore the parts that you don't need at that moment.  We have started offering a range of training modules.  I'd recommend the Basic Training for NVDA to start with as it contains most things you need to know.

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 5:52 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
Simply press control to stop the announcement.  Control stops speech.  Or take some other action such as down arrowing or whatever you want to do on the site.  You don't have to wait for speech to stop.  Screen-readers are designed to stop old speech and speak what you currently are doing. 

Similarly, when up or down arrowing in a document, as an example, if a line is being read, when you up or down arrow or move in other ways or type a letter, old speech will stop and the new line you have moved to will be read.  Or is you move the cursor to the next letter or word, it will be spoken.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 12:45 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Only speak pressed keyboard characters and nothing else

Thanks Gene, I'm indeed looking for it to announce the letters without announcing windows, but I do need the letters to still type normally.
It's not easy to get used to the window announcements because it sometimes mean a very long annoucement (i.e. the title of the Chrome browser, is the title of the website, and such title can be a minute long). For someone who can still partially see, this is too much so that screen reader is rejected, although some other announcements can still be very helpful.

Maybe there is a solution for the too long window title announcements instead? (Can anounce just a short prefix of it, or an extension can tell the browser to crop the title...)

Regarding my original question, I understand that removing window announcement is not right for everyone, but as the eyesight degrades, I think this is a good first step to getting used to announcements in a small dose (just typed letters for now).

Thanks,
Yair
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 at 8:18 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Only speak pressed keyboard characters and nothing else
It isn't clear what you want.  Do you want the computer to continue to work with commands or type when you are in a word processor, but just announce letters and nothing such as what window you are in if you move from window to window?  There is nothing like that and it would be very difficult for people with a number of windows opened to function if the window you move to isn't announced.

NVDA does have a feature that will announce what keys are if you press them but the keys won't do anything.  This is to allow people to famaliarize themselves with commands and look for commands without the computer taking any actions.  It also announces letters and numbers and some other things.

The command is NVDA key 1 that is 1 on the main keyboard. 

You can turn this command on and hold the insert key and press various functionkeys as well, such as f1, f2, etc. to see what they do.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 10:51 AM
Subject: [nvda] Only speak pressed keyboard characters and nothing else

I'm looking for a way to make every key press in the keyboard speek (report/announce/echo) the letter name.
This seems like a good start to accomodate to screen readers noise, I will add other announcements later on.

Is there a way to disable all other announcements in NVDA (i.e. not hear the titles of the focued window etc.)
I tried to de-select everything but the character speeking but there is till a lot of speeking when changing focus.

I tried Windows Narrator too but had the same issue.
This is a very simply feature, even useful for people learning to touch type, there must be some utility that offers just that for Windows (even if not using NVDA)...

Thanks,
Yair

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org 
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.