Re: NVDA doesn't announce what shifted letter and number keys do

Gene

Thanks.  I'll check the issue to see how things develop.

Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 3:30 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA doesn't announce what shifted letter and number keys do

Hi Gene,

Very good point.  I can't directly answer how easy or hard it is to fix.  Off the top of my head, I would hazard a guess that it shouldn't be hard, but I'll have to wait until Mick or Jamie can answer that and whether there was any reason for not including the functionality already.

In any case, I filed an issue for it: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6621

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 5:24 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I didn't realize this until now but I was playing with input help today and I found that NVDA doesn't announce what shifted number keys do nor what shifted items such as punctuation keys do.  If you hold shift and press a number key, you will hear something like shift plus and then the number is announced.  That doesn't give useful information.  What if I wanted to find the dollar sign.  I couldn't do so using input help.  And I couldn't know from input help that shift slash is the question mark.  I'd hear something like shift plus slash.  Why is this the case and can it be changed without unreasonable effort?

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org