Re: NVDA doesn't announce what shifted letter and number keys do

Gene

Since it announces letters and numbers unshifted, it is reasonable that it announce the shifted items as well.  Of course, you can do what you are saying, but it is more convenient and better design if input help can announce shifted items.  Your method is a work around. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA doesn't announce what shifted letter and number keys do

I thought input help was designed to give instructions on NVDA commands rather than keyboard layout.  For keyboard layout type investigations, open a text file and switch on speak typed characters, NVDA+2.

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 6 December 2016 18:25
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA doesn't announce what shifted letter and number keys do

I didn't realize this until now but I was playing with input help today and I found that NVDA doesn't announce what shifted number keys do nor what shifted items such as punctuation keys do.  If you hold shift and press a number key, you will hear something like shift plus and then the number is announced.  That doesn't give useful information.  What if I wanted to find the dollar sign.  I couldn't do so using input help.  And I couldn't know from input help that shift slash is the question mark.  I'd hear something like shift plus slash.  Why is this the case and can it be changed without unreasonable effort?

Gene

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.