Re: Dropbox problem (with fix)

Gene

I read the help information on this subject.  It only comes up for some newer formats.  It doesn't come up for doc files.  It only comes up for file formats with an x at the end that are used in various newer Office programs.

Lots of companies cause accessibility problems that have known about accessibility for quite some time.  The right hand may not know what the left hand is doing or they may only consider accessibility once they start getting complaints.  Drop Box, to this point, has a much better record than company after company that has had previously accessible programs and their programs became completely or largely inaccessible in later versions.  How often have we discussed this problem in relation to antimalware programs?  And what about the Edge browser?  How many years did it take for Chrome to become almost fully accessible? 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 4:55 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Dropbox problem (with fix)

You're right of course, Gene, but it is still a major bug.  Even many sighted users, after opening a file in Word, will jump right back to the keyboard ready to type / edit etc and to have to then go back to the mouse to click in the document (assuming, of course, that you want to use the document itself rather than interacting with this dropbox badge for some reason) is, at least, annoying.  At the very least you should be able to dismiss it with say escape or something.  I guess I'm quite happy to explain accessibility to a small company to whom I will give the benefit of the doubt, of ignorance, but a company like dropbox has been around long enough that they no excuse.

Arlene, it seems to be Microsoft Office files - I'm not sure about doc rather than docx, but at a guess I'd say probably it would come up for them too?

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Arlene <nedster66@...> wrote:

Hi, is this only for windows ten? Or is this for doc files. Meaning documents.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: December-13-16 5:39 AM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

the feature is for those colaborating using certain kinds of files such as docx.  However, as I understand the way this works from reading the help for the subject, if you are sharing a file, then any time you open it in Drop box, the badge will be displayed, using default settings.  The badge only is displayed for certain file types such as docx.  It is not displayed for older file types such as doc. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 7:22 AM

Dropbox works fine on my AMD based systems.

Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my iPhone, please forgive the typos.

> On Dec 13, 2016, at 2:09 AM, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:
>
> This of course only affects online access as far as i know. it happens since the badge is just a graphic I think.
> I tend to make sure any public links use the  1 in the link not the 0 so the machine defaults to downloading a file not viewing the list on line.
>
> Incidentally, I have also managed to stop Dropbox updating on those amd machines where the latest desktop client fallls over and won't run properly. the last working version was 13, and to fix the update you need to rename a file that controls the update process However be aware that Dropbox no longer support this processor so it could  be that some parts of their service become unusable over time.
> AMD single core Athlon and their cut down versions are the processors concerrned here.
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher-Mark Gilland" <clgilland07@...>
> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 3:25 AM
> Subject: Re: [nvda] Dropbox problem (with fix)
>
>
> Thank you for this tip. I've not yet had to open a word nor Excel file from within Dropbox, but this is great to know. I wonder if this problem would also occur on the mac. Feel free, anyone, to write me off list, if you happen to know.
>
> clgilland07@...
>
> Chris.
>
> ----- Original Message -----  From: Quentin Christensen
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Sent: Monday, December 12, 2016 9:40 PM
> Subject: [nvda] Dropbox problem (with fix)
>
>
> Hi everyone,
>
>
> For anyone using the Dropbox app on Windows, there is a problem with accessing documents stored in your dropbox folder caused by a new feature in a recent update to Dropbox.
>
>
> What is happening is that when you open a file from your Dropbox folder, it's popping up a mostly invisible window over the top of the Word / Excel window, and it puts it back there even if you alt+tab away and back. It's called the "Dropbox badge" and you need to go into the Dropbox preferences to get rid of it:
>
>
> 1. Press WINDOWS+B to go to the system tray
> 2. Press RIGHT ARROW to move to the Dropbox icon (it may also be in the System notification overflow).
> 3. Press ENTER to open the menu.
> 4. Press UP ARROW to go to Preferences and press ENTER
> 5. Press TAB 5 times to get to the "Dropbox Badge" grouping / combo box.
> 6. Press DOWN ARROW to get to "Never show".
> 7. Press ENTER to close the dropbox preferences.
>
>
> Hopefully Dropbox will address this, however in the meantime, following this, documents in your dropbox folder should be accessible again.
>
>
> Kind regards
>
>
> Quentin.
>
>
> --
> Quentin Christensen
> Training Material Developer
> Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
>
>
> Ph +61 7 3149 3306
> Direct: +61 413 904 383
> www.nvaccess.org
> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
> Twitter: @NVAccess
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org 
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.