Re: intel 64-bit processors with amd instruction sets: (was [nvda] A word of warning about xp and windoows update enabled systems with old amd processors

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I don't know about hese chips. I'm talking really old. I think in the main its insufficient testing of applications. I've noticed that the latest Dropbox even 32 bit fall over on such machines as I mentioned whatever flavour of windows is running, and indeed so does Firefox after version 48. This is due to there being no sse2 instruction set option in the chip which either falls out of the code as in dropbox, or is flagged when you try to install as in Firefox, or does give C runtime errors as in Speedfan etc etc.
I suspect gradually, people will either force AMD to get back on track with compatability or they will just lose the market to the great God Intel, sadly.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2016 4:45 PM
Subject: intel 64-bit processors with amd instruction sets: (was [nvda] A word of warning about xp and windoows update enabled systems with old amd processors

Perhaps companies don't support it, but they should. I have an intel processor, but it uses the amd command set. In fact, if I do a system info, it tells me intel processor, (with all it's various version information), then tells me amd-64, then returns to intel for processor type and so on. It's very odd, but I have discovered that intel 64-bit programs don't work on this machine, only amd-64 apps work (go figure)

This is an all in one computer, so it's likely using one of the intel laptop processors that have the power saving features of a laptop, but apparently, these cpus are also using amd commands for their command sets. <shrug>

On 12/15/2016 6:10 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
I noticed yesterday on an old XP Athlon machine, the chip with no sse 2, that after a latest xp security update which is enabled on that machine, the processor usage was 99 percent. trying this on a second machine running a sempron resulted in the same issue, but not on the old Pentium Intel chipped machines.
The thing is it seems to have altered the way the software looks for and downloads windows updates, so to stop this problem you need to turn off automatic updates. This can be quite a challenge with about 1 percent processor still working when nvda tends to need 143 percent, but after doing this and rebooting all is sweetness and light again. I only put this on here as I know a lot of folk in some of the poorer countries out there still use xp machines with the get updates hack on them, and wanted to help.
I'll shut up about it now, as in fact its off topic.
I imagine Microsoft never bother to test it on this processor as so many companies now do not support it, like dropbox or firefox to name but two.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.