Not really so true.

If my FN-key is pressed, and I hit letters J, K and L, they act as Numpad 1, 2 and 3 - and so forth. That means, the FN-key taped, you could not even write a normal text. Turning off the Numlock, which would be something like FN-F8, things would go even more crazy, as now the letters would work as Object-operators in NVDA.

In very short terms, taping the FN-key, is the least effecient way of all. Sorry.

On 12/15/2016 11:02 PM, Gene wrote:
As I understand it, the problem you describe won't occur.  When the fn key is down, it is equivalent to it being up under traditional operation.  I haven't heard that the effect of this change is limited to specific keys.  Indeed, I heard someone say, on another list, that they couldn't use alt f4 under this change because f4 was being treated as a function key combination.  As far as restart is concerned, I have no idea if there will be any effect.

Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2016 3:31 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] changing the function key

Also the problem with taping the key down, is that for any other keys that use Fn+key combinations, they will always act as if the key was down.  it also might not register properly when the machine restarts.  It sounds like it would be worth getting sighted help to get into the bios and change this setting once and for all.  At least, once it's done you can just use the PC normally again.

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 7:12 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Robert,

          I know of no way to change this on HP hardware without going into either UEFI or BIOS (depending on the age of the machine).  This feature is known as Action Keys.  My laptop had this enabled and I promptly disabled via the BIOS settings under UEFI.  Under UEFI it's in the BIOS settings, System Configuration settings and is enabled if you have to hit Fn in order for the function key to act like a function key, not perform the function shown on its icon.

          There are some brands that have a way to do this via the user interface.  I can't find any for HP.  Here's a link to their support page giving details on how to turn it off via BIOS for machines from the straight BIOS era.  It's virtually identical under UEFI once you know where to look, which I mentioned above.

 Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.

         ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer