From: Nimer Jaber
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2016 10:28 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] List Moderation #adminnotice

Hello all,

I have been keeping an eye on list traffic over the past couple of days, and have waited for things to settle down a bit before coming on board. I wish to take this opportunity to say a couple of things, and to start something new for this list.

As some may remember, Joseph helped me moderate this list for a long while, and he did a wonderful job at that. This list got used to his moderation style, and I found his style to be effective most of the time. I stepped in when needed, and he stepped in when needed, but on the whole, this list for the most part moderated itself. On lists that I run, I find this to be beneficial as even though a thread may be off-topic, it usually does not last long, and the thread may contain valuable information to somebody. At times, I have had to shut down certain topics, and the moderation team has been in agreement on that, but those times are few. I have always asked members of this list to reach out if they disagree with a decision, and I have said that all list members will be heard. List members can reach out to the list owner address, or to me personally, and I will be happy to help and serve in the best way possible. We won't always agree, but I will hear you out, and I will make sure that you know why a decision was made as it was, and I will give you the opportunity to change my mind. In addition, this list does have a sublist for discussion of list matters, although I don't see that as being used on most lists where it exists, and in any case, list matters on this list at any rate, are not all democratic. Why? Because this list made that clear during past decisions.

During the past year, Joseph stepped down, and this list elected not to have elections for a new moderator. I asked for volunteers that wished to become a moderator after this list elected not to have a democratic process. I also asked for nominations. Jene was my pick out of two candidates to be moderator because he is knowledgeable, he has participated on this list for a long time, many on this list respect him for his contributions, and he demonstrated to me a willingness to work with me and to work for this list to serve its membership in the best way possible. I asked after he was selected to be a moderator that all of us welcome Jene, and to treat him with the respect that you have treated me and Joseph in the past. Gene is not Joseph, and he has a different style of communication. However, both of us are in agreement to continue to allow this list for the most part to run itself, and we are both in agreement to be listers, just as all of you are, except for when we need to step up to the podium to deal with a situation. So far, I hope all of you can agree with my assessments of the situation.

Over the past few days, some questions have come up about the moderation of this list. I want to thank Stuart and Brian for reaching out via proper channels to register what they feel to be issues. Gene has, and continues to have my support for the running of this list, and has not given me any reason to think that he does not make an effective moderator. However, I am open to hear ideas for how you believe the moderation of this list can be improved, and how we can serve you better to make this list more functionable, and to allow us to be more answerable to you. To that end, I want to once again invite anyone that wishes to be heard to send a message to nvda+owner@groups.io or to nimerjaber1@... with your thoughts, suggestions, or grievances. I do want to listen, and to be there for each of you. Also, I am wondering if this list would like a time to talk about any issues that you experience? This could be something that happens monthly, or more often if preferred. If this is something that you would like to see happen, again please send me your comments and suggestions to the group owner e-mail address, or to me at my e-mail address.

Finally, I would like to wish all of you a very happy holidays ahead to you and your families. Thank you for allowing me to continue to serve you, and know that I really am listening and paying attention to your suggestions.

Cordially,

Nimer J, List Owner