locked Re: trying to find my gmail account in the webbie browser

Gene

There are few absolutes in any area and this is another where this applies.  There are times when a program created for blind users may be desirable.  In general, people are better off using standard programs.  Adaptive programs often don't have as many features or abilities.  And if you stick to special programs, you will limit yourself in terms of available programs.

Having said that, what might be a program developed for blind people that might be better to use?  At the moment I can't think of much but let's consider one example I can think of.  If you are recording audio, it might be nice to have a program that audibly indicates input levels and tells you when you might be using too high a volume.  Perhaps a rising tone could be used that changes in some way, perhaps distorting when what is perhaps too high a volume is reached.  I doubt any program for sighted people would have such a feature.  This might not require an entirely separate major program.  It might be achieved by a utility that measures input levels in whatever program you are using.  But my point is that this is very likely an example of a feature no sighted designer would put in a program for sighted users because some sort of meter or graph would be considered superior.

Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:27 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] trying to find my gmail account in the webbie browser

Hi all,

Firefox and Chrome both announce the download status with NVDA. I must strongly disaggree with software just for the blind. Any blind person should want to use what the sighted use, because that is what you will have to use at work and so on. Being able to use every tool you have to use software made for the sighted should be the goal of every blind computer user. The blind must stop expecting the world to make everything just for the blind. The blind should only want to use everything made for the sighted. This is what is so beautiful about the iPhone. You are using Voice Over built into the phone, and you are using the exact same phone is your sighted friend sitting beside you. Wow, I find that so exciting, and I give thanks. How will the blind live in the sighted world and assimulate into the sighted world if everything is made special for the blind?

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10