Re: Something strange going on with Windows 10. Machine seems to be in a state of hybronation

Jacob Kruger

ctrl + alt + delete?

And, maybe also try turning on narrator, just in case? As in windows key + enter, and, see if it reads out anything additional as you then try tab around that lock screen?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
On 2017-01-02 16:27, Douglas Lawlor wrote:

Hello all,    I am having a strange problem here. I'm sure it is related to the Fastboot option in Windows 10 but I'll be dammed if I know how to fix this one.     What happened? I did a restart and the best way I can describe is the computer half booted and seems to be stuck in hybronation mode.

Here are the symptoms I can see.

1. Pressing the power button powers on the machine.

2. I can hear the hard disk being accessed for a few seconds that access stops.

3. NVDA seems to be active. When I press the Capslock key NVDA will indicate if the capslock key is on or off.

4. Pressing NVDA+t to read the title of the window results in nothing announced.

5. Pressing NVDA+Keypad4 and NVDA+Keypad 6 announces "Desktop in object review mode.

6. Pressing the power button to shut down instantly shuts down.

7. Holding down the power button for 8 seconds results in the same. The machine instantly shuts down.

8.

Taking a picture of the screen using KNFB Reader I get enough information to see that the Windows 10 lock screen is displayed. Pressing any key to display the password box results in nothing.

9. I cannot reboot to a USB boot disk even though I have the boot order set to USB first.

Has anyone else had this happen to them and what did they do about it? I found an article that talks about a hybronation file in a directory on the hard disk. The only thing I can think to do is to remove the hard drive and do a clean install again.

Thanks for my rant this morning.

Doug