Re: NVDA and desktop keyboards without Home and End keys

Shawn Bever

Hi Tyler,

I've got the K480. I had someone look at it for Home and End keys and they said it doesn't have them. Where are they? On my android, I just presss the function keys without the FN key to get what android functions are available, like F4 works like the Back button on my Samsung Note 4. What is the utility you spoke of to reverse the function key behavior on the PC?

Thanks,

Shawn

On 1/4/2017 7:50 PM, Tyler Spivey wrote:
To add to this, some keyboards also hide the function keys (F1-f12) behind the Fn key.
I find this far more annoying.
As an example, I have the Logitech K480 which does this. I can reverse it with a utility, but it needs to send this command to the keyboard each time the keyboard is connected.
As far as I know, I can't use this keyboard with my phone with proper function keys.

Also, my keyboard only has Home, End, Page Up and Page Down in the PC layout, not the mac one which switches keys around for mac/iOS compatibility.

Hi Shawn,

Usually these smaller keyboards work similarly to laptop keyboards in
that they may have an "Fn" or function key, usually near the bottom
left. You press the Fn key with something else to access features that
a full size desktop keyboard would have a key for. So there will almost
certainly be a way to access "home", "end", "Page up" etc functions, it
might just involve pressing two keys.

The other thing you can do with NVDA on such a keyboard, is to use
laptop layout, which replaces many commands which expect a full size
keyboards with commands which are likely to be easier to access on a
smaller or laptop style keyboard.

Personally, unless you really want a compact keyboard for travelling
etc, I'd tend to stick with a full size keyboard, but of course if you
also use a laptop and are used to the laptop layout, then it might not
be as big an issue.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Shawn Bever <shawn.bever@gmail.com
<mailto:shawn.bever@gmail.com>> wrote:

I've been looking at new keyboards lately and found one I wanted to
buy. Before I closed the deal, it occurred to me that the missing
6-pack of keys (insert, delete, home, end, page up and page down)
might be an issue with screen readers. So I didn't buy it.

The question is, can a keyboard without the 6-pack be made to work
with nVDA or other PC screen readers?

Thanks,

--
Shawn

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
Twitter: @NVAccess