Re: NVDA and desktop keyboards without Home and End keys

Shawn Bever

Greetings,

I picked up one of the K780 keyboards yesterday. I can report that this keyboard works very well with NVDA. The key sequences needed to produce Home, End, Page Up and Page down are very simple and not cumbersome at all. The PDF file Bryan mentioned is, unfortunately, not screen reader friendly. The 4 aforementioned keystrokes are produced by pressing the FN key and pressing the left arrow for Home, right arrow for end, up arrow for Page up and down arrow for page down. The use of control and shift modifier keys work as expected to give all the usual functions of these keys.

A software utility called Options (available from logitech) is needed to finish out the needed tweaks. This utility is used to reverse the function key row behavior back to it's normal mode, where no FN keypress is needed to perform the usual windows functions. The only other thing i changed was to disable the scroll lock key, which is mapped to control + caps lock (i'm sure you can see the problem here). With the funciton key row reverted to normal, you will have to use the FN key to switch between the three paired devices, and any other function keys that are described as not needing the FN key. This is a relatively minor adjestment though.

The keyboard paired with my Samsung Note 4 and works beautifully.

All in all, this compact, very solid feeling and quiet keyboard is a keeper. It's an excellent choice for anyone wanting one keyboard for all of their devices, except for devices running Windows Phone OS.

Shawn

On 1/8/2017 9:32 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Gentlemen, have a look at the Logitech K780 Setup Guide (which I'm presuming will be accessible with a screen reader, and the information I'm about to mention is in tables), paying particular attention to PDF page 7 (6, too, but after looking at 7), where it discusses that many of the keys you're mentioning are a 2-key press because this keyboard is both compact and set up such that it can be used with Windows, Mac, and Android and the 2-key presses to get, say INSERT if you're connected to Windows and the keyboard has been told this, will get something else if you are connected to either Mac or Android and the appropriate "switch computer context" keystroke has been issued to allow the keyboard to know it's connected to a different OS that needs certain keys to be interpreted differently.

This probably isn't the best keyboard if you are working exclusively with one computing environment because of the 2-key presses needed because of its context switching capabilities.  It's really handy, though, if you want to be able to connect either via Bluetooth or their "unifying dongle" to devices sporting diverse OS-es and to be able to reconfigure the keyboard accordingly at "the flip of a switch" (actually, the press of a flip sequence).

Brian

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.