Re: Accessible Internet Speed Test

Jeffrey Shockley

Hello,
Let me first start by thanking you for sharing this way of getting an accessible Internet speed test.
I tested this with Windows 8.1 and latest NVDA. It worked correctly. I did, however, since I didn’t click the link, go to Bing and type “speed test” in the search box. It worked fine without any problems with Firefox. Haven’t tried Chrome or Internet Explorer, but I’m sure it will work the same since everything is all up-to-date. It even works on macOS too which is neat.
Maybe this is just one of these cases where the OS  and/or hardware in question is just getting too old to handle modern programs and websites. I’m not sure how else to put it, but one of these days, XP is just going to become so ancient nothing modern will work anymore. I’m surprised it has lasted as long as it has to be honest on the Internet, anyway. I’m not counting stand alone machines that aren’t online.
I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Jeffrey

On Jan 13, 2017, at 12:29 PM, Suptic, Paul <psuptic@...> wrote:

I would like more people to test if they can.  It works and is accessible for me on a Windows 7 machine in FireFox and Chrome with NVDA, on Windows 10 with Chrome and FireFox (Edge of course is not accessible) and on Windows 10 preview with Chrome and Firefox.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 9:59 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Accessible Internet Speed Test

Testing on the latest version of Firefox, and the latest production version of NVDA using XP, this is an example of a page that doesn't work with JAWS or NVDA. 
It gets stuck.  I can close the program without a problem and nothing crashes but speech stops or almost completely does.  Whether the screen-reader stops performing or whether the browser stops or both is something I don't know.  I couldn't use the site with XP Narrator but when I tested with it, I was able to tab around and hear some fields read. 

In short, whether this is a problem for the Firefox developers to solve or for NVDA, I don't know.  I'm presenting it here to see if others report the same problem testing on different machines and versions of Windows and in case those who work on NVDA want to experiment..

I haven't tested other sites or pages with up-to-date versions of NVDA and I don't remember which versions of Firefox I tried, but I've found one or two other sites or pages recently that appear to have the same or similar behavior.
Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 9:32 AM

There is no reason to press the start button again once it is announced.  Just look at the page.  The results are there.  it would make no logical sense for the test to require start to be pressed twice.  

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 8:33 AM

Bing has a built in speedtest that is accessible as well with two ways to access it.
The more complex way is to open bing.com, and just search for speedtest.  Along with the normal search results, Bing will display its own speedtest.  The title of the test is the page main landmark as well as a level 4 heading called “Speed testID - <your IP number>”. 
One Tab gets you to the test start button, there is no indication that the test is running once you activate Start, but it will say “Start” again when it is done.
One Tab will read your Ping, the next Tab reads your download speed and one more Tab reads your upload speed.
The other way to use it is a direct link, but there is no guarantee they will let it stay directly linkable:
This loads with you landing on the start button.  After activating it you will hear “Start” the second time to indicate the test is done.  Use the Tab key as above to read your information.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Chao
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:12 PM

https://fast.com/ from Netflix is what I use and find it to be clean and accessible

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 2:20 PM Arlene <nedster66@...> wrote:
Hello, It does! It tells you your ip address and your provider. For example Concast. Or whatever you use.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kostadin Kolev
Sent: January-12-17 11:52 AM

Hello,

Actually, I think it gives you that information too: The name of your internet service provider and your IP address - they appear one after the other. Just read the information after the link labeled "Again" after the test is done. It starts with the name and location of the server used to do the testing (the end point) - they are links. After that is the name of your internet service provider and after that - your IP address. Then there is some sort of rating information. After that are the results of your internet speed test.

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 12.1.2017 г. в 21:04, Brandon Keith Biggs написа:
Hello,
It worked great for me! Thank you!
I would like it if it gave more information like your IP address and whatnot as well, but currently I got all I needed.

Thanks,

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Arlene <nedster66@...> wrote:
Hi there: Does this work for all internet isps?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kostadin Kolev
Sent: January-12-17 10:16 AM

Hello,

Go to:

http://beta.speedtest.net

This is beta, but it is good enough. It is based on HTML5 technology, if I'm not mistaking. Find the link labeled "GO!" and activate it. The internet speed test will start. You'll be notified when it is completed and the results from it. But you can manually read the results on the page - find the link labeled "Again" and read the information after it - it contains the test results.

Note, that if you are using Firefox for the testing, NVDA may get a lot chatty during the test and repeat that the test is over 50% completed a lot of times. Use Internet Explorer to do the testing if you don't want to hear all that chattiness - it does not occur in it. Hmm, could this chattiness be a Firefox issue? Maybe we should report it?

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 12.1.2017 г. в 19:15, Brandon Keith Biggs написа:
Hello,
Does anyone know of an accessible internet speed test? Most of the speed tests I have found only show speeds in a flash frame.
Thanks,

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.