locked Re: looking for a good compute stick

Antony Stone

Thanks, I look forward to the link.

As far as Windows running on ARM is concerned, are you familiar with Windows
RT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT ?

Antony.

On Friday 13 January 2017 at 21:21:49, coffeekingms@hotmail.com wrote:

hi

I'll have to find it on amazon, shouldn't be too hard. I know it can run
linux, because chrome OS is linux, but I'm not positive about windows.
It should, if it's just a regular 64 bit computer with the kind of
hardware you'd find in a desktop or laptop, but miniaturized. If it has
the sort of hardware you'd find in a smartphone or tablet, also called
the ARM architecture, windows won't run on it. Well, it will, but only a
stripped down version without the desktop or accessibility support meant
to run on something called internet of things, whatever that is. I'll
post a link hear once I find it.

Thanks

Kendell Clark

On 1/13/2017 1:19 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
I know of the sort of "compute stick"s you're talking about - I think the
best-known ones are the Amazon Fire TV Stick, and the Apple TV.

However, I don't know what the Acer Chromebot is - please can you provide
a link to more information about this? If it can run Windows 10, and
Linux, and costs $90, that sounds like an interesting product!

Thanks,

Antony.

On Friday 13 January 2017 at 19:45:10, coffeekingms@hotmail.com wrote:
hi all

My birthday is coming up next month and I'm stuck between an iPod nano,
or a compute stick. I'm not sure what they're actually supposed to be
called,but what I'm talking about is a miniature computer that
terminates in an HDMI port which connects to an HDTV or projector, with
enough storage, bluetooth, wi fi, and a micro sd card slot to use as an
every day laptop. I've looked around a little, but they're quite
expensive, about the cheapest I've run across that sounds like it might
be powerful enough to run both windows 10 and sonar linux well is the
acer chromebot, which is around 90 dollars. The thing about chrome OS
devices is that I don't know a thing about them. They're linux
underneath the google, but I don't know if they're as easy to duel boot
as a regular x86 or x64 pc is. Does anyone know of a good device that
would do this for at least a reasonable price? I'd say around my
absolute top would be $150, and for that it had better be top of the
line or mellisa will ... well she won't be happy. I don't have many
requirements, but I'd like it to be able to run windows 10 at least
reasonably well, including some casual gaming like killer instinct, the
windows 10 version, and emulated systems like the gamecube, wii and n64,
and that it have a micro sd card slot, wi fi and bluetooth. Three or
four USB ports would be nice, but not essential at all, I can just get a
USB hub if I have to for extra ports. A package deal where one comes
with the device, a hub and maybe a bluetooth keyboard would be nice, but
I don't want to complicate things, so not at all necessary, just
convenient. I have a keyboard already. It's a logitech, and it uses one
of those wireless receivers. I'll shut up now lol.

Thanks

Kendell Clark
--
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.