Re: Accessible Word Processor

David Griffith

OK thanks for that.

I did a little experimenting to see why I thought you could not set Font attributes as in HJPad.What I found was

1. Using NVDA 2016.4 I typed some sample text in HJPad. I then selected it all and pressed control i for italic.
2. NVDA did not make any announcement about the text being italicised as in Word for example.
3. However I then pressed NVDA and F to get Font attributes and this time NVDA did announce that the text was italicised alongside all the other Font attributes.
4. It seems then that to make HJPad properly usable you have to turn on Font attribute
and style feedback in NVDA document Formatting options with NVDA Control plus D. With this amended with Font and Style checked you can get good proofing type feedback as you review text in HJPad.

One thing HJPad certainly does have unlike other free Word Processing options is good support for read all, and reading by paragraph is also easy with control down and up arrow.

In that sense HJPad does seem to be a viable option for Word Processing with this change in NVDA Font feedback, certainly in basic document creation.

There are limitations however in the lack of support for tables- and in the limitation in the range of formats supported. I could save only in text or rtf.

At a pince though I could envisage a situation where if at a push you created the vast bulk of a document in HJPad and then used it in conjucntion with something like Libre Office for document conversion and support for tables- though as I understand it NVDA does not currently support tables that well in Libre or Open Office.

So Libre Office could be a pipeline to HJPad converting docx files to rtf for use in HJPad and vice versa for converting the HJPad rtf document to docx.
Other workarounds will be probably necesary to deal with tables.
What I used to do on the Mac to get around this problem with table support was to save as html and read in a browser. I do not know if Libre Office supports saving as html but this is a possible work around.

Anyway HJPad is a free Word Processor which you can use alongside the FS Daisy Book Reader if you install Jaws and leave it in demo mode.

David Griffith

On 16/01/2017 14:04, Gene wrote:
Also, these sorts of attributes can be found by opening the menus, opening tools, then opening fonts from the tools submenu.
Select a fond in the list.
Then tab once. You will be in a list of attributes for the font, italics being one. I didn't tab further to see what else is in the dialog.