Re: Solved: Reading formatting with Jarte

Quentin Christensen

I must admit I haven't encountered any lag, although I am sure there are others running much lower spec hardware.

The other thing I was going to say on that while I think of it, is that if you do find it lags in other programs, it's possible to setup a configuration profile just for Jarte which has the option on where you leave it off in other programs (or setup a profile for another program to have it off if it's just an issue in one other program).

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 10:59 AM, Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@...> wrote:

Thank you! I never used that option before because of the lag warning, but I guess that lag is negligible or just doesn't happen all the time. I'd forgotten it existed.

Well, looks like Jarte will be my alternate word processor of choice! It does everything I want it to do, and I honestly sometimes find background spellchecking distracting and like the one in the menus, so I'll stick with that. Might take me a while to add all the words I want in the dictionary. There are a lot of Pokémon nowadays.

Hi Sharni-Lee and everyone,

I thought I would write this as a new thread, just for anyone who didn't follow all the way through the Accessible Word Processors thread and the issue raised of reading formatting such as Italics.

The issue was the things like Italics were read at the start of a line, but not when they appeared in the middle of a line.

The solution is to open the NVDA document formatting dialog and ensure "Report formatting changes after the cursor (Can cause a lag)" is enabled.  What this does is detect all formatting on the line, not just at the exact place the cursor is.  When using say all (NVDA+a or NVDA+down arrow), the cursor moves down to the start of each line as it gets to it, which is why it was detecting formatting at the start of the line but not in the middle.

To turn this option on:

1. Press NVDA+CONTROL+D (or NVDA+N to open NVDA's menu, then choose preferences, then Document formatting).
2. TAB or SHIFT+TAB to the "Report formatting changes after the cursor (can cause a lag) option.
3. Press SPACEBAR to toggle this option.  Ensure it is checked.

Note that the option is the last thing in the dialog now before the ok and cancel buttons, so SHIFT+TAB is easier to get to it (just noticed there doesn't seem to be a hot key, I'll open an issue for that).

Note that in order to report things like italic and bold, you will also need to have "font attributes" checked, which is the third option in the dialog.

I tested this with a portable version of Jarte in Windows 7 as well as Windows 10 just to ensure it works in both.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen