Re: Command line text editors and NVDA

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

I've never been able to get the hang of vi and it's various clones. I usually use pico/nano, unless I need a line editor (like when I compile source code, and can't figure out which line has the error because there are multiple similar lines) then I use ed, but for editing files on windows itself, I either use notepad, or a (slightly) modified sample program that comes with powerbasic called pbnote.

On 1/18/2017 4:26 PM, James AUSTIN wrote:
Hi Travis

Thanks for the suggestion of Cygwin. Do you use Vim or any particular editor?

Thanks

James

On 18/01/2017 20:25, Travis Siegel wrote:
You can install cygwin, then, use any of the linux tools you're used to. I do this, and it works just fine. Initially, I installed it for the ssh that comes with it, but I've since started using it's more, cat, ls, more, and others. It's very handy.

On 1/17/2017 1:15 PM, James AUSTIN wrote:
Hello

I an new to NVDA, and am very impressed with its ability to read the command line. I am also new to the current iteration of Windows, having used Mac OS for the past 10 years.

I prefer to use plaintext files whenever possible, and also prefer using the newly-minted Bash command line running on the Windows Sub System for Linux when navigating the command line. I am aware of Windows Power Shell, but feel more comfortable using Linux and UNIX tools.

However, in order to keep my PC as streamlined as possible, I would like to know if there has been any development in NVDA's ability to work with VIM. A search turned up some Github discussions from 2015, and a short test with Vim earlier today was promising. But even after toggling 'Dynamic content' on and off, NVDA did not announce the position of the cursor as I moved through the document.

Do folks on here use command line editors? Or graphical editors such as Notepad++ or TEDNotepad? I have both installed already, so if these are advised, I will learn these.

Thanks and keep up the great work

James