locked Re: looking for a good compute stick

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Oooh, I just double checked and realized the amazon price for the second generation is $350. If you can get it from the third party seller for $140, do that, but I don't think $350 is reasonable for what's inside that stick. They do refer to some other brand name solutions such as Lenovo though. If I were going to pay $350 it would be for one of those after careful consideration.

As you say, this is a pretty good group. I don't prefer windows myself, but when I go back to work, NVDA will be my prefered solution as employers will probably expect me to use windows. I taught everything in the days of my training consultancy, and NVDA helped out a number of my former customers who were placed in substancially bad situations by their funding provider or let's face it, sometimes just through their own lack of preparation.

Best,

Erik

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On January 18, 2017 6:46:57 PM "coffeekingms@..." <coffeekingms@...> wrote:

hi

Hacked within six months? Now why does that not surprise me? Also, I
sort of expected you guys, meaning the NVDA community, to be windows
centric. It was like that when I left, but it's gotten a lot better
while I was gone. You know, windows only and so on, but you guys seem
open to all manner of things, windows and linux included. Since I plan
to run windows on the compute sticks, I definitely want one that's
powerful enough to run windows, and of course anything that's powerful
enough to run windows will run linux. As for sonar, I sort of doubt
anyone has done anything specific for us since we're really small, but
if it uses anything standard, like bios or uefi, it will boot like any
other OS. I've bookmarked all the links you've sent me and if I like one
of the ones you've steered me to I'll buy it, so you get a little
something, I have no problem helping people out. My only issue with them
isn't with your help, you've been amazingly helpful, but it's with the
prices. They jump from being cheap but slow to fast but way out of my
price range, we're talking in the 3 to 4 hundred dollar range.

Thanks

Kendell Clark

On 1/18/2017 7:16 AM, erik burggraaf wrote:
Hi, I can only speak for the intel compute stick at this point. The
linux version is five or 10 bucks cheeper, but it scrimps on
hardware. In particular, I believe the linux version has only half
the ram of the windows version. Intel tried to force windows on their
high end compute stick by using microsoft proprietary boot loader, but
it was hacked within 6 months of the release. Considering the
difference in price vs performance, and assuming you have a resident
sightling to help you tweak the boot options in bios, just go for the
win version and install a supported hack. I used ubuntoo. I suggest
you start by looking at the work that was done for ubuntoo, and then
search to see if any one has done something similar for sonar.

I sure don't mind answering questions as long as I know the answers.
If people use my amazon links, then I get money towards development on
inclusiveandroid.com, so I do get something out of it too.

Have fun,

Erik
On January 17, 2017 8:45:42 PM "coffeekingms@..."
<coffeekingms@...> wrote:

hi

My only question would be whether getting it with some form of linux or
no OS would be any cheaper? I have no objection to windows, obvious I
plan to run it along with my own linux distribution called sonar, but I
don't really want to be charged for the windows license when I already
have one. Are there off brands of the thing? I've come across a few, and
the only one that looks good other than the intel one which looks fine
is the acer chromebit, not chromebot. I don't know if chrome OS can be
duel booted and I wouldn't use the chrome OS part, I'd be buying it for
the hardware inside. As long as it can handle casual games, like the
windows 10 edition of killer instinct and emulated consoles like the
game cube and n64 it'll serve my needs nicely. Not that you have to
answer all of this or anything, the only reason I'm bringing it up is
because I can't really find a lot of info about them. Most of them say
simply intel hd graphics or nvidia graphics but don't go into detail
about the specific card, and I'd hate to buy one only to find out the
games lag or windows or linux doesn't work well on them. My one big
requirement is that they not have broadcom wireless or bluetooth chips
in them. I've had nothing but bad luck with broadcom, on both windows
and linux, and I just prefer to avoid them. This is not your job to
research everything, I can do my own research, just basically rambling
at this point lol.

Thanks

Kendell Clark

On 1/17/2017 8:52 AM, erik burggraaf wrote:
Hello again, Here are corrected links... I hope.

Here is a link to computestick first generation with windows 10:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014N4CZE2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B014N4CZE2&linkCode=as2&tag=inclusivean03-20&linkId=b216c581e63a0da38d2277aaa219e995

Here is a link to the current generation with windows 10:
http://amzn.to/2iD7TbV

These are both in your price range. Asside from them getting warm and
not
having a
n anolog audio jack, I'm pretty happy with the first generation. I
hacked it to ubuntoo using images and instructions I found online.
There's
an hdmi, one usb, and one SD on the first generation model. I haven't
looked closely at the second generation, but for the pricepoint, I
would
definitely give it a glance.

I hope this helps,

Erik

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On January 13, 2017 1:46:09 PM "coffeekingms@..."
<coffeekingms@...> wrote:

hi all

My birthday is coming up next month and I'm stuck between an iPod
nano, or a compute stick. I'm not sure what they're actually supposed
to be called,but what I'm talking about is a miniature computer that
terminates in an HDMI port which connects to an HDTV or projector,
with enough storage, bluetooth, wi fi, and a micro sd card slot to
use
as an every day laptop. I've looked around a little, but they're
quite
expensive, about the cheapest I've run across that sounds like it
might be powerful enough to run both windows 10 and sonar linux well
is the acer chromebot, which is around 90 dollars. The thing about
chrome OS devices is that I don't know a thing about them. They're
linux underneath the google, but I don't know if they're as easy to
duel boot as a regular x86 or x64 pc is. Does anyone know of a good
device that would do this for at least a reasonable price? I'd say
around my absolute top would be $150, and for that it had better be
top of the line or mellisa will ... well she won't be happy. I don't
have many requirements, but I'd like it to be able to run windows 10
at least reasonably well, including some casual gaming like killer
instinct, the windows 10 version, and emulated systems like the
gamecube, wii and n64, and that it have a micro sd card slot, wi fi
and bluetooth. Three or four USB ports would be nice, but not
essential at all, I can just get a USB hub if I have to for extra
ports. A package deal where one comes with the device, a hub and
maybe
a bluetooth keyboard would be nice, but I don't want to complicate
things, so not at all necessary, just convenient. I have a keyboard
already. It's a logitech, and it uses one of those wireless
receivers.
I'll shut up now lol.

Thanks

Kendell Clark

--
Without coffee, life is not worth living. Anonymous