locked Re: Difference between NVDA and System Access from Serotek

Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...>

I dont even remember if SA had/has browse mode. It seems like it does, but, I can't recall for certain. Anyway, I think Gene really is dead spot on here. I'm neither really a fan of tabbing through forms. I can't begin to tell you how many times that I have missed critical information by doing so, so again, Gene, thank you for the tip/contribution. Very well thought out.

Chris.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2017 7:20 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Difference between NVDA and System Access from Serotek

I don't know how you tried to fill out the fields using NVDA.  Usually, with experimentation, you can figure out what information goes with what field and have it read if it isn't.  You or others may find the following discussion useful.

Many people just tab through fields.  That may or may not work, depending on the form design.  If you go into browse mode and down arrow through a form, you will often be able to read the descriptive text field associated with a field.  for example, as you down arrow, you might hear first name and then below that see an edit field.  If that is the first descriptive text for a field in the form and if the edit field is the first one below the text, you will know that descriptive text is above the field it is associated with in the form.  At times, I use browse mode to arrow through a form, go into forms mode to enter information, and then return to browse mode to continue down the form.  There are certain fields such as check boxes you don't have to leave browse mode to work with. 

then there are times when ai have to tab through a form in browse mode or forms mode, it may differ from form to form to have the associated text read. 

I am not aware of these sorts of various means nor the need for experimentation when dealing with a form that doesn't work as expected to be taught well in Internet instruction.  And this is one reason I strongly oppose having automatic switching between modes when working with fields on by default to be a bad feature implementation.

Gene
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2017 5:43 PM

Hi, Gene,

I agree. There were a couple of times when I had trouble filling out a survey. It was for the microsoft disability center. NVDA didn’t see all the form fields so I used system access to go and it worked very well for me. That tells me it’s not a horrible program.

Rosemarie

Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2017 3:13 PM

It isn't horrible.  I tried the demo awhile ago and found that it did what it did well.  But it is much more limited in its abilities than NVDA. 

It really doesn't help good will toward NVDA nor the credibility of NVDA to make unsupported statements disparaging another product.  You give no reasons nor examples to support your claim and I consider the claim, from my own experience of the demo and of System Access to go to be groundless.

Gene
----- Original Message --=---
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2017 5:05 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

SAToGo AKA, System Access is horrible! Write me off list if you wanna know more. I have my reasons for not wishing to discuss this publicly on list.

clgilland07@...

Chris.

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2017 3:13 AM
Subject: [nvda] Difference between NVDA and System Access from Serotek

Hi all,

I have a question out of curiosity. I was talking to a girl on the computer, and she said that she uses System Access from Serotek, and used to use NVDA. I looked up System Access, and see that it still costs $400.00. Do you guys know the difference, and is there any reason why one should buy System Access over having NVDA. How does it compare to JAWS if anyone knows. I have never talked to someone who uses System Access, and I was just curious. Thanks a lot, and hope this question is not off topic.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.