locked Re: Difference between NVDA and System Access from Serotek

I dont even remember if SA had/has browse mode. It seems like it does, but, I can't recall for certain. Anyway, I think Gene really is dead spot on here. I'm neither really a fan of tabbing through forms. I can't begin to tell you how many times that I have missed critical information by doing so, so again, Gene, thank you for the tip/contribution. Very well thought out.

Chris.

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2017 7:20 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Difference between NVDA and System Access from Serotek

I don't know how you tried to fill out the fields using NVDA.  Usually, with experimentation, you can figure out what information goes with what field and have it read if it isn't.  You or others may find the following discussion useful.

Many people just tab through fields.  That may or may not work, depending on the form design.  If you go into browse mode and down arrow through a form, you will often be able to read the descriptive text field associated with a field.  for example, as you down arrow, you might hear first name and then below that see an edit field.  If that is the first descriptive text for a field in the form and if the edit field is the first one below the text, you will know that descriptive text is above the field it is associated with in the form.  At times, I use browse mode to arrow through a form, go into forms mode to enter information, and then return to browse mode to continue down the form.  There are certain fields such as check boxes you don't have to leave browse mode to work with.

then there are times when ai have to tab through a form in browse mode or forms mode, it may differ from form to form to have the associated text read.

I am not aware of these sorts of various means nor the need for experimentation when dealing with a form that doesn't work as expected to be taught well in Internet instruction.  And this is one reason I strongly oppose having automatic switching between modes when working with fields on by default to be a bad feature implementation.

Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2017 5:43 PM

Hi, Gene,

I agree. There were a couple of times when I had trouble filling out a survey. It was for the microsoft disability center. NVDA didn’t see all the form fields so I used system access to go and it worked very well for me. That tells me it’s not a horrible program.

Rosemarie