Slow NVDA responses in ribbons

Greg Rhodes <gkrhodes@...>

I’ve written before about having sluggish NVDA feedback when navigating ribbons in MS Word and MS Excel. I’m running the Windows 10 Anniversary and had been using Office 2010. When I press the Alt key to go to the ribbon or when I arrow between ribbon tabs, I frequently have a 4 to 10 second delay before I get NVDA auditory feedback saying where I am. I thought this might be an Office 2010/NVDA compatibility issue so I upgraded to Office 2016. I’m still having the same problem. I have my PC’s Power setting on high. I 'experienced the problem with the latest version of NVDA. Someone suggested I try an earlier version so I uninstalled the latest version and installed the prior version (I believe it was 8.3). No improvement.

I really would like to use and support NVDA but can’t do it unless I can get quicker auditory feedback when navigating in the ribbon. Also have frequent issues with NVDA going silent. As I recall, I can Alt/Tab out and back into the document I’m working on and NVDA will start talking again.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Are other people having these issues? Thanks.