Re: new member and a few questions

Dan Thompson

Yes your advice did help.  However, where do I go to make the change regarding backstage?

Thank you very much.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 10:22 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] new member and a few questions

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the group!

Re "Line feed", what program are you in when it announces that?  For me, in most programs, it doesn't necessarily announce anything when I press ENTER, but as I left or right arrow through the text it announces line feed when it gets to where I pressed enter?  This is to indicate that it was a deliberate press of ENTER and not just reaching the right margin for instance.

You can set NVDA to "Speak command keys" by pressing NVDA+4 or from NVDA's keyboard preferences dialog.  This will announce "ENTER" when you press that key.  Note that it will also announce things like "CONTROL+RIGHT ARROW" as you move by word, "NVDA+END" before reading the status bar and so on.

Re saving files.  Again in word, if I press control+s, NVDA reads:

"ctrl+s

Save As  tab  selected  Save As  Alt, F, A  "  That is using the default setup of Word showing the "backstage".  If I set it up to go straight to the save as dialog (file - options - save then check "Don't show the backstage when opening or saving files".

If I have it set to go straight to the save as dialog, I get:

"ctrl+s

Save As  dialog  File name: File name:

Save as type: Save as type:

File name:  combo box  collapsed

edit  Alt+n

selected some filename.docx"

Which is exactly the same if I press f12.

In Wordpad, when I press control+s, I get:

"ctrl+s

Save As  dialog

File name:  combo box  collapsed

edit  Alt+n

selected Document.rtf

"

In Notepad I get:

"ctrl+s

Save As  dialog  File name: File name:

Save as type: Save as type:

File name:  combo box  collapsed

edit  Alt+n

selected *.txt"

Not sure if that helps though?

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Dan Thompson <dmt031073@...> wrote:

                First I am very greatful for this list and all the work developers have put into NVDA.

Q1. Instead of announcing “line feed”, Is it possible to cause NVDA to announce new line or blank when pressing enter to move to a new line?

Q2.  Recently NVDA in my class room will not say “file name” when pressing control + s when saving  file for the first time.

NVDA will not say “save as” when pressing f12.

When we press control + c or control + v, NVDA  does not announce,

“copy” or “paste.” Is there some setting that is not correct?

Thanks for reading this long email and thanks in advance for your assistance.

This is the way of peace: Overcome evil with good, and falsehood with truth, and hatred with love.” —Peace Pilgrim

“God is the mind that imagines physical reality. We are each like a cell in that mind.” —Peter Shepherd

--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org