Re: controlling the mouse?

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Gene

I totally agree with you with people getting to know how to use the other review modes as well.

they are not hard to learn and you only learn what you need to on how to use them

You do not need to know every shortcut say in object navigation, screen review or text review but enough to do the job.

I think where the golden cursor comes in to get to the same parts they have full control moving the mouse around and can build up a better picture of the layout of the screen.

Once they have got to the spot they want to make in to a hot spot with the mouse just on top of it, to save it to the list in that application and naming it is a blessing.

Even to bring back up the list of hot points in the application  gives you a list of all of them for that application. then it is a matter of finding the one you want then pressing the enter key on it and it will take you to that position so you can double left click for it to do its job.

Even if some one sighted puts the mouse on where a person would have to click then adds it as a hot point does the trick. Even moving your focus cursor to a position, then routing the mouse to it then hot pointing it as well does the trick.

they just also have to remember to have mouse tracking turned on so nvda will speak what is under the mouse.

Basically in short to new users it simplifies getting to a position if they do not fullly under stand the other reviews.

Gene nz

On 3/02/2017 2:23 AM, Gene wrote:
In the first copy of this message I sent to the list I mistakenly have a phrase at the end that says something like announce items under the mouse.  That was an error and I have removed it from this copy.

Gene

There may be objects you can find with the mouse that you can't find using object review or screen review, I don't know.  But much of what is being described in terms of looking at a screen and finding things can be done with screen review or object review.  Sometimes, one of those modes finds something another doesn't find.  And the thing about the Golden cursor, as I understand it, is that you can set pixel points to move immediately to something.  But people who don't properly learn to use object navigation and screen review are doing themselves a disservice if they are advanced users and want to do things that can't be done with standard keyboard navigation.

If you find something using object review or screen review and want to move the simulated mouse to it, using the desktop layout, the command to move the mouse is numpad insert numpad slash.  Hold numpad insert and, while doing so, press numpad slash.  I don't use the laptop layout and don't know the command.  In most cases, the mouse will now be at the position of the object.  You should now be able to use the Golden cursor to set a return point.

I haven't used the Golden cursor because I don't use programs where doing so is an advantage.  But as I understand the description given of how to use it, a good deal of the excitement is the result of not using object navigation and screen review to advantage.

Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 4:41 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] controlling the mouse?

If NVDA could know where all the interesting or useful objects were, I think
we'd have a far better way of interacting with them instead of having to move
the mouse pointer around.

The problem (or at least one of them) is that you often don't know where an
object is or what it can do until you put the mouse pointer on top of it.

Antony.

--
All generalisations are inaccurate.

                                                   Please reply to the list;