From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of john s
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2017 5:36 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] controlling the mouse?

I don't mind moving the mouse pointer when I have to and I use Window Eyes
mouse keys to do so. Otherwise, I don't care where something is on the
screen as long as I can get to it, first with keystrokes and then with
mouse
keys.

earlier, David Moore, wrote:

Hi all,
There is something else that excites me about the golden cursor. I like to
be able to do a task like a sighted person does instead of always using
navigation commands. It is harder to move the mouse instead of using object
review or screen review, and routing the mouse to that spot. However, when
can move my mouse around and find a control in a program with the mouse
pointer, it sure gives me a sense of satisfaction. I get so excited, when I
can do something like a sighted person. I use object and screen review to
the max, and do everything I can with key commands, but it really excites
me
when I can move the mouse pointer around and find something just like a
sighted person. When I show a sighted person how I move the mouse pointer
and save positions with Golden cursor, that excites them about my assistive
technology much more than when they see me using key commands. We all need
to show off what we can do to sighted friends, to get the sighted excited
about what the blind can do. So, there is a reason to use the Golden cursor
for excitement and fun, and not just to get the job done. I don't like to
just get the job done. I like to get a visual picture of everything and do
something just like I would if I was sighted. I don't know if any of you
feel that way or not. I want the sighted seeing my technology, as well as
the blind. Moving the mouse with Golden cursor, is something sighted
friends
can really relate to, because they use the mouse. I only use a computer a
third of the time to get the job done. The other two thirds of the time is
to be adventurous and try doing tasks different ways, and always be
researching how something might be done. A lot of inventions have been made
by doing just that, not just getting the job done. I am a research person,
not someone who just wants to get the job done. Maybe that is why I get
excited over something like Golden cursor, because you can actually move
the
mouse around. I can't stress enough, that it really helps the blind to have
a visual picture of where everything is on the screen. If you always use
key
commands, you do not know the visual layout, and where things are in your
mind. I am a very visual person even though I am blind, if that makes
sense.
I had half of my sight until I was 15, and I constantly think as I saw
then.
I am 50 now, and I still have good light perception. Maybe that makes a
difference of why I have to have a visual picture of everything to be
happy.
Only using key commands, a blind person is left without a visual reference.
I am always asking sighted people where the mouse is on the computer screen
if I am using JAWS. This is why I love NVDA and Golden Cursor, because I
can
hear in pixels of where something is on the screen, and get a picture in my
mind of where that is. No matter what I do, even with key commands, I want
to see it in my mind like I am looking at the screen. Does anyone else feel
like this. I learn better if I can see something in my mind instead of just
memorizing a bunch of key commands and not having a visual reference of
what
those commands are doing on the screen. It is the same with me and a phone.
I want to picture the icons and everything. I wish NVDA told us what the
icons looked like, what color they are and so on. Let me know what you
think
about all of this. Let us love technology as well as just getting the job
done. Take care, guys,
David Moore
Windows
10