Re: Suggestion for upcoming NVDA build

Gene

I know you know what snapshots are.  But a lot of people don't. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2016 11:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Suggestion for upcoming NVDA build

I know what Snapshots are, Gene.  Smile.  Perhaps you have a point here.  I just figured it would make things possibly a bit more seemless.  Shruggs.  I guess not though.

Oh well, it was... worth me asking, I suppose.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...
Phone: (704) 256-8010 Extension 401.
Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2016 12:02 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Suggestion for upcoming NVDA build

I don't think it makes sense to have NVDA download snapshot builds.  For one thing, many users may be confused or not know what a snapshot is.  Snapshots are not production code.  They are intended for testing and having to go to a web site to download snapshots indicates that the person doing so has enough knowledge to be aware, or to be reasonably be assumed to be aware, that this is test code and may not run well.  Test code should be kept separate from production code.

Gene
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2016 10:51 PM
Subject: [nvda] Suggestion for upcoming NVDA build

I was just thinking how cool of a feature this would be, and I'd not think it would be terribly hard either to implement.

How hard would it be from the official build, like in this case, 2016.1, to put an option in the NVDA menu, maybe under Tools, that automatically like downloading updates would let the user download and install the latest snapshot build rather than them having to go out to the web site and manually get it.  Either that, or maybe under the General tab of preferences, where you have the box to check or uncheck for checking for updates, maybe have another one that says download snapshot builds when updating.

What do you all think?
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...
Phone: (704) 256-8010 Extension 401.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.