Re: Reading Endnotes

James AUSTIN

I do not use MS Office, but are the endnotes at the end of the document, or at the end of each chapter?

If the former, might it be possible to find the first reference in the text, move to the first note and highlight them all Once highlighted you could try copying them to a new document. This should let you read them. A little cumbersome, if it works, but this is what I did on the Mac using Nisus Writer Pro.

On 06/02/2017 22:39, Albert Ruel wrote:
Apparently even JAWS is not able to do this in Word 2016.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of kelby carlson
Sent: Sunday, February 5, 2017 3:50 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Reading Endnotes

Ah, I see. Maybe it's just JAWS that does that, then; or perhaps it's footnotes I'm thinking of. In either case, I know if you just save a Word Document with footnotes or endnotes in plain text it converts the way you describe.

Sorry, I jumped ahead of myself - I was initially thinking, NVDA
identifies that there is a footnote / endnote, but doesn't read the
text of the notes themselves, you would need to go to the notes
section to read the note text. What I was then thinking was if there
was an easy way to convert the notes into inline text, you could do
that - and then either close without saving or undo etc if you didn't want to keep the notes inline.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 10:24 AM, kelby carlson
<kelbycarlson@...>
wrote:

Quentin,

I think you misunderstood what I was asking. I don't actually need to
convert the endnotes into regular text, I'm just wondering if NVDA
can/will read them when just doing a say-all in the document. I seem
to remember it doing so but now it isn't; I could be confusing it
with JAWS. (Since switching to my new laptop the combination of JAWS
and Word has become completely unworkable, for reasons that remain
mysterious to me and that Freedom Scientific has been totally inept
at fixing as per usual.)

Hi Kelby,

Interesting question. I've never tried this so just went and had a
quick look. It seems that you can do it manually, with a VB script
or an
add-in
tool. I found a couple of different sites, but this one lists the
three main methods all on one page:
https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/word/1192-word-
convert-endnotes-to-plain-text.html
The only thing I think is that this leaves the notes at the end of
the document as regular text (so you could easily copy to plain
text or
another
format which may not support Word's footnotes). I suspect what you
were after was something that put the footnotes in the middle of
the text
where
the reference was?

One thing you could do, is to create a macro to do it. On the view
menu
(alt+w) is a macro option (m). From here you can record a macro,
which once started, will "record" every keystroke you press until
you turn recording off. While recording, you can move to the next
footnote
(alt+s,
o, n) then jump to the notes area (alt+s, h) select and copy the
note,
move
back to the main text, and paste the text from the footnote,
perhaps in brackets.

Although I don't have an immediate need for it personally, I'll be
interested to see if anyone else comes up with a good solution to this.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 6:51 AM, kelby carlson
<kelbycarlson@...>
wrote:

When reading a document in Word is there a way to make NVDA read
footnotes/endnotes while reading along rather than having to go
into the footnote or endnote pain?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer