Re: Symbol pronunciation dictionary

ChrisLeo

Hi, I try to reply point to point.
"1. Different labels for the same symbol
In the list there are duplicated symbols, but that have additional labels such as sentence-ending, phrase-ending etc. What is the difference between them and how do they relate to NVDA processing them?"

The same sign can appear in different cases. For example the dot in the end of sentence is used in TTS to give an intonation to the reading, but you can find the dot in other scenarios. For example, in this string: "goldwave.4.1.nvda-addon".

"2. Punctuation level setting
Not sure how this works. Is that something to do with when the symbol is read out as a character and when it is read as a linguistic feature? If so, what’s the character option for?"

You can set a base livel for each character, then set the verbosity according to the settings that you gave. The option character is used for space and for similar characters.

"3. Send to synth setting
Again, not sure how this works. My understanding is that all text is sent to the synth to be spoken. The only possible explanation I can think of is that when reading as a character NVDA would need to convert that into a word. But then wouldn’t you want it read as a word in that case? Struggling to tell the two options apart."

Yes, you've right, the text is always sent to the synthesizer, but the meaning is different.
NVDA allows to preserve the behavior of the synthesizer when there are some signs or symbols.
As already said in point 1, the synthesizer recognizes the sentences by the punctuation and it gives different intonation depending on the cases, question, exclamation etc...
For example, eSpeak.ng puts a pause when there are parens, Eloquence synthesizer gives a diferent intonation before of left and right paren.
You can choose if you want to preserve the native behavior of the synthesizer or not.

"4. Multichar expressions
The document mentions nothing to do with multicharacter symbols. Such symbols are common in programming (<=, >=, :: etc). Can it process these?"

I think you can add combined characters in personal symbols setting, but in programming the most used symbols are ASCII characters... How should be processed otherwise?

Cheers,

Chris.

Damien Sykes-Lindley, 10/02/2017 20:09:

Hi,
I’m slightly confused as to how this feature works. There is brief documentation in the user guide but, it seems, not enough to cover all aspects.

[...]

Cheers.
Damien.