Re: Symbol pronunciation dictionary

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I cannot answer them all as I've never tried using all of them, but the way it is said or interpreted in different contexts ie when reading the document or cursoring through it etc can be tested by changing something common and seeing what the results are.
I suspect it also to some extend changes with language in use as well.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Damien Sykes-Lindley" <damien@dcpendleton.plus.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2017 7:09 PM
Subject: [nvda] Symbol pronunciation dictionary

Hi,
I’m slightly confused as to how this feature works. There is brief documentation in the user guide but, it seems, not enough to cover all aspects.

1. Different labels for the same symbol
In the list there are duplicated symbols, but that have additional labels such as sentence-ending, phrase-ending etc. What is the difference between them and how do they relate to NVDA processing them?

2. Punctuation level setting
Not sure how this works. Is that something to do with when the symbol is read out as a character and when it is read as a linguistic feature? If so, what’s the character option for?

3. Send to synth setting
Again, not sure how this works. My understanding is that all text is sent to the synth to be spoken. The only possible explanation I can think of is that when reading as a character NVDA would need to convert that into a word. But then wouldn’t you want it read as a word in that case? Struggling to tell the two options apart.

4. Multichar expressions
The document mentions nothing to do with multicharacter symbols. Such symbols are common in programming (<=, >=, :: etc). Can it process these?
Cheers.
Damien.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.