Re: new to windows, need help with software selections

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Greetings, As most have said, CDex will do all of your cd ripping and audio conversion tasks. The info CDex uses for tagging comes from cddb.com. If you're not happy with it's results, I believe you can add your favourite service, such as musicbrains, or freecddb and use as many as you want. I have found that the stock option often tells me about audio book cd's but not in a way that I want to use as my directory structure. So, it's handy for identification, but I end up writing my own tags anyway. I had a free program called mp3tag to handle that, but I don't use windows any more and don't know where to get it. I could have some one dropbox it for us if any one is interested.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. We have our squabbles here ocasionally, but people are generally supportive and helpful. I personally think you're taking a step backward switching over to windows full time. As you've already noticed, spyware and bloatware abound. Security is tremendously time consuming. Security products are notoriously inaccessible and cause severe performance breaks. Keeping a system up to date without breaking things is a major hassle. I hate Gene's approach of multiple screen readers, even despite the evidence of different levels of effectiveness in multiple areas across the board. To me, the necessity for multiple screen readers is a symptim of a problem, not a solution to a problem. I've used windows, mac, and Linux, and windows is the most combersome and ineffective operating system I have experienced. Since it's not going away for at least another three to five years, I plow ahead doing my best to keep up on a little bit of windows lore and NVDA lets me do that.

Don't hesitate to ask. Even if some one points you to the manual, we're usually pretty good about it.

Enjoy,

Erik

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On February 14, 2017 10:05:25 PM "coffeekingms@..." <coffeekingms@...> wrote:

hi all

I'm a bit ashamed to say this, but I've just switched from linux,
specifically sonar gnu linux, to windows 10 full time. There are many
reasons why and I won't go into them hear since this is the wrong list,
but the windows blind community is just friendlier and much much less
prone to judge people based on what software they want to use, what
speech voice they want to use and so on. I was hoping you guys could
point me to some free as in price, and open source if possible, software
to do the things I've gotten used to doing in linux. I'll provide a list.

A cd ripper, preferably one that can look up info on cd databases, and
if such a thing exists, one that can look up data on audiobook cd's,
since the ones available for linux can't. It would be nice if it could
rip to opus or ogg vorbis files, preferably both, since I don't care for
mp3 and use free to use media formats like ogg or opus for everything.
Something that can download videos from youtube, entire playlists if
possible. I've found youtube dl gui for this, but it leaves the video
and audio tracks separate, instead of combining them so I have to
manuallt delete them. An audio converter, so I can convert mp3, m4b, etc
files into the formats I prefer to use. I've come across format factory
and already wrote about it hear, but it doesn't seem to handle opus so I
may need to use something else. I've just discovered kodi, the htpc
software. Can it handle using services such as spotify, pandora and
last.fm? I don't use any of these yet, but I'd like to start, assuming
spotify and pandora are still free to use. Accessible torrent software.
I've been usint q bittorrent, and it is usable but not very accessible.
I want torrent software for legal things, not the pirate bay and such.
Even though I'm no longer using sonar I still want to support it's
torrent seeds, as well as other linux distro torrents such as vinux and
fedora. Is there a good free program to keep drivers up to date? If
these are still needed. My computer is experiencing frequent bugcheck
screens from something called amdkfb.sys, and I thought maybe a free
driver updater would download an updated driver that would fix it.
Something that doesn't nag you to upgrade to a pro version would be
nice, and that can be run portable would be even better, but I don't
want to be picky. I'm only asking for all of these instead of doing my
own research because I'm frequently lead around in circles. Sites that
say a piece of software is free, when what they mean is free but comes
with extra stuff, free trial, or not free at all and they want you to
pay for it. Driver updaters that aren't accessible and often install
extras, such as pc care, pc cleaners, and the chrome browser. Are there
good ways of avoiding these kinds of things? I'm new to windows after
being in linux for five years so I might as well be a first time windows
user. Thanks for any help, I'll try not to ask for this much help again.

Thanks

Kendell Clark