Re: problem reading mail

Gene

I suspect that if you asked how to find a specific thing, you would get an answer either here or on another list.  I see no reason to believe that ribbons are inaccessible as you move into their structure.  Ribbons don't have structures within structures.  You can open a dialog or a menu from within a ribbon but you don't open another ribbon in a ribbon.  I have never had an accessibility problem with a dialog or a menu because it is opened from inside of a ribbon.  If a dialog or a menu isn't properly accessible, that's because it isn't designed properly from an accessibility standpoint.  But the ribbon isn't causing the problem.

As I said, if you ask on this or other lists how to find a specific item using ribbons and not using short cuts, you have a good chance of getting an answer.

Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 12:54 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] problem reading mail

I'll look at this again, but I'm almost certain I read it before. It's not the basic function, it's such things as defining column width, importing and exporting various kinds of file types and formats and such.  I always could find those things in standard pull downs--no matter how deep within they were.  My best guess is that once you get in a few layers that screen reading software does not read all possible choices within the ribbon structure.  I'll give it a go once again--don't recall how many such tutorials I have read in the past and spent several hours on each one comparing and testing; here goes again!

On 2/16/2017 1:06 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 09:28 am, Ron Canazzi wrote:

None who use ribbons for complex suite such as Office do anything other than memorize shortcuts to achieve basic functions.

And this is different than the menu driven system in what way, precisely?

No one has ever known exactly where to find "very seldom to almost never used" functions but did menu searches when there were menus and ribbon searches when there are ribbons to find them.

The ribbons are nothing more than a menu in different form.  It's not all that much easier to conduct an exhaustive search of a multi-level menu than it is to do the same with a ribbon control, it's just the precise "how" that's different.

How you use them in Excel is no different than how you use them in any ribbon-driven program.  Read the brief "how-to" I wrote which applies to any ribbon-controlled program in Windows.   It's impossible to get specific unless one is writing a "how-to" for a single program and even then you'll never cover all the options available in the various ribbons or menus and the multiple dialogs that each can spawn.

    I don't find an uninformed hatred a "principled position" that I need to respect in any way.

        ~ Ellen Evans, soc.motss, 11/6/2004

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"