Re: problem reading mail

Brian's Mail list account

Be careful about portable versions in w indows 10 though, as things often do not work as they did in Windows 7. Too much use of uia in 10 makes portable nvda nowhere near as useful
try it on ccleaner for example to see the kind of things that happen.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2017 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] problem reading mail

At this point, we don't know if you would have this problem if you went back to an earlier version of NVDA. You should go back and see. You could try a portable version and see if you have the same problem while leaving the current version installed or you could uninstall the current version and install an earlier one. But according to your message, your problem is much more than just not being able to use the up arrow when reading a message.

We don't know if something happened to Outlook that is coincidentally causing the problem or if they new version is the cause.
Gene

Sent: Friday, February 17, 2017 2:48 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi Gene,

After I read your message I wanted t go back and read it line by line. I wasn’t able to do this. I had to use the alt tab keys to change the focus so I could read your message. I don’t remember this happeneing with nvda 2016.4.Hi

Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 6:54 PM

first, have you checked to make sure skim reading is still enabled? The update may have incorrectly changed the setting.

If the command is still correct, you may wish to read my further comments out of interest but they will be unnecessary to try to find a work around for the problem.
I should change or perhaps correct something I said earlier. this may not be an intended use of skim mode but it appears that it might do what you are describing. That raises the possibility that the problem might be addressed by the developers. It looks to me as though it is an unintended use of the feature but one that might be expected to work if skim reading is enabled. Here is the description from the manual, which I just looked up.
If on, certain navigation commands (such as quick navigation in browse mode or moving by line or paragraph) do not stop Say All, rather Say All jumps to the new position and continues reading.
Assuming you didn't change any settings either in your e-mail program or in NVDA, say all should automatically start when you open a message. What you are doing is using the move up by line command to try to move up a line when you can't. NVDA interrupts whatever it was speaking and starts to read from the current line.

While I understand why this worked in older versions, since it was very likely an unintended use of the command, I have no idea if the developers will try to restore the previous behavior if the command works correctly in general. My suggestion of using the read to end command should work just as welland, since there is no question that it does what is expected, it will continue to work regardless of updates unless the command is incorrectly implemented in a later version. And if it is, the developers would be expected to address the problem.

I can't comment on using the laptop layout but if you set NVDA to use the caps lock as a modifier, using caps lock down arrow is not, in any meaningful sense, more difficult and I think you would quickly get used to the new command.

It's better to use correct commands in general. Incorrect commands may not work in all contexts and they may stop working, as in this context, with the possibility of restoration uncertain.

Gene
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 9:09 AM

Whether it used to work or not, that isn't documented or expected behavior. I have no idea if this might be restored or why the behavior has changed. Simply issue the usual read to end command when you open a message. I don't use thunderbird and I can't comment on this behavior stopping. But I can tell you that when I was learning something about thunderbird a number of years ago, the way I got message bodies to read efficiently, that is without the subject line being read, was to use the read to end command in whatever screen-reader I was working with. If the read to end command is inconvenient in whatever keyboard layout you are using, you may be able to make it far more convenient by doing something like having the caps lock key be an NVDA key.

You may have to experiment to see how long to wait after opening a message before issuing the command.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:49 AM

Hi Brian,

When I used nvda 2016.4 when I opened a message I hit the up arrow key to
stop the reading of the subject line. In rc1 this no longer works. Thanks
for any help.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 5:13 AM

Well I don't think that should happen at all. What happens if you use the
older version. I'd also advise against using a portable version on windows
10, it seldom works verywell.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 7:13 PM
Subject: [nvda] problem reading mail

Hi All,

I just updated to nvda 2017.rc1. I am using wlm as my mail client. It used
to be when I open a message I would hit the up arrow key and nvda would
start reading the message. Now, I have to hit the key for it to read the
message. Also I hear the word pane is this the way it will be? Thanks for
any help.Regards, Gary kn4ox

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.