Re: Significant Area Of Excel Where Ribbons simply Make No Sense and Don't Work

Ron Canazzi

The function may be there, and indeed maybe it's screen reader related. However, as a user of Office since 2000, I never had this problem with standard pull down and drop down menus.

Point being that if there were no ribbons, the additional software malfunction with respect to screen readers would not have been created. So simply condemning blind people for being lazy or stupid or whatever and trying to create the idea that ribbons pose no additional problems for screen reader users is simply wrong.

On 2/18/2017 5:46 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
However playing devils advocate a little here, can one be sure that the original menu version of this worked or did it only work via mouse selection or direct shortcut?
This sounds to me like an issue with the software in that the keyboard action of getting the dialogue or whatever to focus enough to get at the options simply won't work in that case. As such it needs to be sorted by Microsoft if it has Jaws and nvda giving similar results.
Its not that the function is not there, it is, but in an illogical place and seemingly not selectable from the ribbon route, only by mouse or keyboard shortcuts.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@roadrunner.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2017 6:37 AM
Subject: [nvda] Significant Area Of Excel Where Ribbons simply Make No Sense and Don't Work

Hi Group,

I have started a new thread on this ribbon business since some have complained that the other thread had drifted away from the original intent.

Here's one big issue with ribbons and Excel.

If one wants to insert a structural element of a work book such as a row, column area or sheet, one cannot do this by navigating the ribbons. The short cut which I will describe does work, but this was given to me by someone who figured it out with sighted help.

First of all, try looking for the items under the insert portion of the ribbon. They simply aren't there. Then via experimentation and observation, you find a separate insert item under the home portion of the ribbon under general. There's a problem, if you simply navigate to the insert item, and press either enter or space bar, nothing happens. somehow if you use the shortcut alt + h, I, you do get a list of items. You can then pick the desired item and press enter and follow the prompts or whatever. If you don't know the designated shortcut sequence, you simply can't find this item and get it to work with screen readers: JAWS or NVDA.

I know I have seen this in other Microsoft programs such as Access and Power Point as well.

I'm sorry folks, using ribbons does not give full access to screen reader users in many programs as we used to have under the standard drop down or pull down menus.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.