Re: Significant Area Of Excel Where Ribbons simply Make No Sense and Don't Work

Quentin Christensen

Ron,

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my message - you can't press right arrow on split buttons in the Excel ribbon - the example I gave of the start menu worked differently but what I was thinking when I said it, was that it might be a relatable example.

To access the split button in Excel, press alt+h for the home ribbon, then control+right arrow to get to the section as you did, then alt+down arrow, as yu can to open a drop down list.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 12:39 AM, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:

Hi Quentin,

I tried navigating to the insert split button as follows:

alt + H, control + right arrow until I hear insert split button, then right arrow, nothing happens, for laughs and giggles left arrow, nothing happens, enter, space bar, attempted routing of cursors and simulated mouse click with left or right click and nothing.  This is with Office 2016/Excel.

Actually,

Thinking on it a bit further, and looking back at the ribbon in Word and Excel, the key word is "split button".  A split button, visually, is a button where you activate the main part of it to do the most common action.  An arrow coming off the right side opens a menu of other related options.  The most common example of a split button is the start menu item for a program such as Word in Windows 7.  When you arrow to Word in the start menu in Windows 7, you can either press ENTER to go into a blank document (or the backstage) in Word.  Alternatively, you can press the right arrow to open a "jump list" of recent documents you have used in Word.

Insert, Delete and Format cells in Excel are setup the same way.  When you press ENTER on the insert button, for me it inserts a cell and pushes the rest down.  If I have multiple cells selected, it inserts multiple cells, pushing either right or down, depending on what was selected.

Merge and Centre, Font Colour, Accounting number format, and sum all do the same thing on the home ribbon in Excel,  They all have an action they perform if you activate them, and a list of related actions you can get to if you alt+down arrow on them.  It might not be obvious, but there you go.

Regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 9:46 PM, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:
However playing devils advocate a little here, can one be sure that the original menu version of this worked or did it only work via mouse selection or direct shortcut?
This sounds to me like an issue with the software in that the keyboard action of getting the dialogue or whatever to focus enough to get at the options simply won't work in that case. As such it needs to be sorted by Microsoft if it has Jaws and nvda giving similar results.
Its not that the function is not there, it is, but in an illogical place and seemingly not  selectable from the ribbon route, only by mouse or keyboard shortcuts.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-