Re: New windows not always detected

Gene

I just tested using XP and JAWS.  On the three programs where I have this or a similar problem, it didn't occur with JAWS.  I tested opening each program twice.  Though I was skeptical that this was an NVDA problem, it now appears that it is.  Perhaps these programs have something in common that causes NVDA to have this initial focus problem.

From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:32 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] New windows not always detected

I saw a message from an XP user saying that he doesn't encounter the problem in XP.  I still use XP and I see the problem in Firefox, Chrome and Tapin Radio.

I didn't keep the message so I can't include it in the quoted previous messages.

Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:29 AM

I have encountered it, too.

On 2/25/2017 8:51 AM, Felix G. wrote:
Hello,
I'd like to ask if anyone else has encountered the following:
When launching an application, for example by hitting enter on Mozilla Firefox on the desktop, NVDA sometimes fails to detect there is a new active window. It will not automatically say anything, and pressing NVDA+t will still yield "Explorer" as if the desktop still had focus. However, pressing tab clearly shows that Firefox had focus because it performs the expected action of jumping, for example, out of the address field and into the search field.
For an experiment I gave it a full five minutes to see if it just takes an awful lot of time, but no luck. So, window activation events seem under certain conditions to be able to pass under NVDA's radar.
It might be worth noting that I noticed this not long after a reboot and the dust might not have fully settled in terms of background tasks starting and stopping.
Kind regards,
Felix