Re: Windows 10 App Essentials 1702

Hi,

Speak typed characters: yes, the fix for it is part of NVDA 2017.1.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Mullins
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 5:59 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 App Essentials 1702

Hi Joseph

Currently the speak typed characters setting has no effect when in the Calculator app.  Are you saying that it will function in the upcoming major build of Windows?  I appreciate your point about it being a user experience issue rather than a technical one however, the fact that it is bundled with several other improvements to the user experience covering a variety of apps, limits the choice for users who, like me for example, want the Mail features of W10AE but not the Calculator ones.

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: 25 February 2017 12:56
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 App Essentials 1702

Hi,

It is intentional: suppose you run Calculator in Creators Update (or the upcoming major build) and tell NVDA to announce typed characters. You’ll hear duplicates if this happens. However, I’ll leave open the possibility where this will not be the case anymore in a few weeks if people say that they prefer hearing “display is N” each time you press number keys or what not (a decision having to do with user experience, not a technical one).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Mullins
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 4:46 AM
Subject: [nvda] Windows 10 App Essentials 1702

Hi

I may be mistaken , I can’t check because i deleted the message but together with the announcement that Windows Mail app can now read messages with the arrow keys, Joseph said that the Calculator app will not read anything but the display field without the addon.  He may have been referring to an upcoming build of Windows (I’m using Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.693)) but if not, then in the Calculator app this is not the case. 

Without the app essentials add-on running, the calculator display value is echoed as you type, with the add-on this does not occur, in all other aspects, access to other parts of the calculator app appears to be identical whether the add-on is running or not.  In my opinion, the add-on makes Calculator access less user friendly.

Cheers

Chris 

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.