Google Docs

Brandon Cross <bcross3286@...>

Using Google docs in Chrome with NVDA for me is frustrating for one simple reason, and it's not NVDA's fault either. Simply put, irrespective of your keyboard echo settings, I hear characters I type echo back to me. I've had this in certain places on other sites too, my guess, although I cannot confirm this, is that they're using some resource in ARIA to do this. I don't like it at all. I don't want to hear characters as I type, it slows me down. My question is, can anything be done about this, either on the google docs side, or from an addon prospective. I did look into the accessibility on google docs, yes, screen reader mode is active, and I found nothing related to this.

It kind of bothers me that they would force this on users, it's that well we're a big corporation so we know what's best for you type of thing. Not much different from a sighted person grabbing you on the street, or just coming right up to you and intruding on your space yelling about how you need help, etc.