Re: Google Docs

Gene

I don't know if anything can be done but just use the stop speech command before typing and then turn speech back on when finished.

Sent: Sunday, March 05, 2017 8:25 AM
Subject: [nvda] Google Docs

Using Google docs in Chrome with NVDA for me is frustrating for one simple reason, and it's not NVDA's fault either. Simply put, irrespective of your keyboard echo settings, I hear characters I type echo back to me. I've had this in certain places on other sites too, my guess, although I cannot confirm this, is that they're using some resource in ARIA to do this. I don't like it at all. I don't want to hear characters as I type, it slows me down. My question is, can anything be done about this, either on the google docs side, or from an addon prospective. I did look into the accessibility on google docs, yes, screen reader mode is active, and I found nothing related to this.

It kind of bothers me that they would force this on users, it's that well we're a big corporation so we know what's best for you type of thing. Not much different from a sighted person grabbing you on the street, or just coming right up to you and intruding on your space yelling about how you need help, etc.